Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Teenage daughter lack of friends
scchha12 posted:
Is there anyone that can help me help my 14 yr old daughter. She doesn't have any friends that she can depend on to do anything with, and when she does make plans with one of them, they either ditch her or cancel. She is a cheerleader, volleyball and softball player. She has an outgoing personality and when I see her interact with others at school there doesn't seem to be a problem. She cries a lot which makes me cry. We live in a small town so there are a lot of "popular" kids in her grade and oddly enough some kids think she is also. She told me that she doesn't like these kids because they're mean and nasty. She has even tried to make friends outside of her school by playing travel sports and through my encouragement doing activities outside of school functions but once again nothing. Can someone please help?

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Scchha12 -

I am so sorry to hear your daughter is struggling. While waiting for others to reply with advice and support I wanted to pass along a couple of resources for you both to check out -

Sticky Situations for Teen Girls - Slideshow
Teen Girls' Health Center

Has school started yet? Are there any non sports clubs she is interested in joining? Any volunteer opportunities in a career field she is interested in?

Elizabeth

scchha12 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
High school starts in about a week. She is in cheerleading and volleyball and does exceed in both. But we live in such a very small town she doesn't like a lot of the girls because they are mean girls. The girls she is friends with on the teams ditch her or won't keep they plans they make together. I'm hoping that she can make friends with older girls when she gets into high school but with her problem she has I know sometimes the girls a lot of girls attract are they wrong ones, the ones who she will get in trouble with. I've been trying to pay attention to her personality because I feel that might be the problem. She is very bubbly and does have a very positive personality except for when it comes to this. She can be anti-social when it comes to those "popular" girls but she says she doesn't want to be like them. I don't know what else to do.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to scchha12's response:
Umm, the "popular" girls. It sounds like she could broaden her relationships and also involve herself in other activities.

Does the school have any service related clubs - Interact, DECA, Habitat for Humanity, Key Club, Girl Scouts, etc.? You never know where you will find a friend.

If she continues to migrate toward girls that are not kind or respect her please consider talking with a counselor or therapist.

Wishing you both a great start to her high school years. Please keep us posted.

Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mother of 5 kids of a combined family! My 11 Year old daughter my 9 year old son my 9 year old Stepson my 8 year old Stepson and the newest add...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.