Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Teen boy starting high school?
butterflygarden posted:
Anyone else have a teen son starting high school this year? I've gone through two girls, but my son has been different from the girls in so many ways. He's also ADHD and his self esteem sometimes flounders.

I'd love to get some pointers from moms with sons who are or have been navigating the high school waters.

Butterfly

MichelleAve responded:
I have two boys who are only in elementary school, but my nephew (with whom I am very close) just recently started high school. I'm not really sure what kind of "pointers" you are looking for, but I think the best thing you can do for your boy is to be there for him. Let him know you understand what he is going through and that your home is a safe place, and your family is supportive. I know ADHD can sometimes cause children to develop a little slowly in terms of maturity so maybe that's why his self-esteem is out of whack. Let's face it, high school is a hard time for most teens, and there isn't much you can do to change that.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am Olivia, and I am a moderator here at WebMD. I am also the mother of a 19-year-old college freshman, a 16-year-old high school junior, and a 12-ye...More

Helpful Tips

Teen Dating Rules
How do you handle (or plan to handle) dating in your teens and tweens? Do you have rules as to what age they can go out on one on one ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 24 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.