Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Talking to teen girls about breast cancer
cancerfree6 posted:
I have been asked to speak about breast cancer (I am a survivor) to a group of girls aged 12-14 this afternoon. Do you have some good tips on specific information to give to them? I want to make them aware of the disease, how to lower their risks, and get them talking to relieve some of their anxiety.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi, Welcome and Congratulations on being cancer free!!

This is a great topic to begin exploring, these girls are so fortunate to have you share your experience!

Chances are some girls in your audience will have first hand knowledge of a family member with breast cancer.

In a quick search this article, Breast Cancer in Young Women, has % and talks about risk factors which may be too heavy. For teens you may want to talk about self breast exam and healthy lifestyles.

This info, Talking to Older Children & Teens , from BreastCancer.org may be helpful.

Also, WebMD has an awesome group of women in our Breast Cancer Community . They are always willing to talk and share their experience and information.

Looking at the time, you have already finished your speech. I hope you will check back in to let how know how it went and what questions the girls asked. It would be great to share this info with moms of teens on this community.

Elizabeth

cancerfree6 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you for your reply. I spoke to about sixty girls about breast cancer and covered your suggestions listed. I had been asked by the local Soroptimist club to speak before they had the girls decorate bras for Cancer Awareness Month. I basically spoke to the girls about their own fears and how to lower their own risks later in life. I found a study on the American Cancer Society website about teen girls and their diets. I presented this information. Next time I will show the news report on the study as well.
Since many of the girls knew me personally (I had been their elementary principal while I went through chemo and radiation) the talk went well and they opened up to me.
Thank you for the additional articles. I will use this information the next time I speak. Cancerfree6

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to cancerfree6's response:
So glad to hear it went well. It is wonderful that you can share your experience and promote awareness.

I love the bra decorating! Thank you so much for checking back in.

Elizabeth

Spotlight: Member Stories

My Story: Hi, I am a mom of 4-daughters. My youngest daughter was dx at age 6 with ODD (oppositional defiant disorder), then eventually classified a...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.