Skip to content

Announcements

Parents of Tweens and Teens - Welcome to your home!

Bundles of hormones, emotions, and insecurities. Rebellion, dating, school problems, peer and societal pressures, its our job to see these kids to adulthood. Get the support you need here!

Teen Boys' Health
Teen Girls' Health
Teen Health Center
Lying child
crazykids posted:
I too, am at my wits end! My 10 year old daughter won't stop lying. She lies about big and small issues. She lies all the time. She would be considered a pathological liar. She will look you straight in the eye and tell you she didn't do something, then she will start crying. When we pull the video, she of course, is caught doing it. We show her the video, and she still insists, she didn't do it. When she finally breaks down and admits to it, she starts yelling and then stomps away!

She has been punished for lying more times than I can count. She has been grounded, grounded to her room, grounded to her bed, lost all of her toys, lost her "treat", spanked, given more chores and countless other things. Nothing seems to work.

Does anyone have any guidance?!!

momuv4girls responded:
I believe that a child who consistently lies, has some mental health issues that a professional needs to evaluate.

Obviously what you as parents are doing is not changing her behavior, there needs to be a new strategy. She is only 10, and that's great you are reaching out for ideas, because with help, she can get better.

I will pass along some links for you to explore....

http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_and_lying

http://www.positivediscipline.com/articles/lying.html

I hope this helps, take care!!
-Kathleen

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Jessica. My boyfriend of 10 years and I are raising my son, Colton, 11, and his daughter, Courtney, 10, and we have a 3 month old son Xavie...More

Helpful Tips

Hair
Don't battle over hair-it will grow out or get cut eventually. Save the battles for the big issues. More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 25 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.