Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Namenda and how used for Parkinson treatment
swetpi posted:
How is Namenda used for Parkinson's? My mom has issues with low blood pressure and passing out at times when it goes really low. Her neurologist wants her to take Namenda titration and seemed to feel it would help her blood pressure issues. She is on Carbadopa/Levadopa, Aricept, Quetiapine, and I'm just concerned about adding another med with side affects. She does seem to be more confused, but the passing out has me more concerned. The doctor tried putting her on blood pressure increasing meds, but it went too high and took some time to come down even after quitting the meds. I am afraid to put her on another medication. I've also heard that Aricept only works for about 6 months and then it really doesn't make a difference.
Thank you for any suggestions.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear swetpi
I do not think the Namenda will help with her low blood pressure symptoms. Some things to do with that are to have her drink a 12 oz glass of water at breakfast, and another 8-12 oz at lunch. She may not want to do that, but if you also remind her it will help with constipation, she may be more motivated. She also needs to salt her food more. Finally, make sure she is not taking anything to lower blood pressure.

Namenda is a drug proven effective for memory problems. This may be worth trying, but would want to work on the blood pressure first. Think back on your last office visit: was the neurologist trying to use a new prescription to finish the visit. If so, the most important thing that all should realize about a time limited office visit, is that it is time limited. I would suggest you focus next visit better. Start with her two issues: Poor memory and low blood pressure. If you get answers to those, it will feel much more successful.

Helpful Tips

Aware in Care Hospital Action Plan
I just wanted to let you guys know that I found the BEST thing ever to keep with papers that you take to the hospital! It's called ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center