Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Excessive Sweating - any help?
lajygal posted:
My mom had PD and has excessive sweating in the morning. Using a fan doesn't help, she says. She is hydrating. Anything else we can try to cool her down?

thanks!

lajygal responded:
  • * correction HAS PD.
  •  
    DUKE MEDICINE
    Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
    Dear lajygal
    Excessive sweating in PD is often a result of blood level changes in levodopa - the active ingredient of Sinemet or carbidopa/levodopa - and can occur at either peak or low levels. In this case it sounds like it is after a last dose the night before.

There are several strategies: If she takes her last dose at supper, you may want to discuss a dose just before bedtime with her neurologist. If she is already taking a bedtime dose, taking her first dose earlier - even before she first gets out of bed may help. Finally adding other PD medications may prolong the benefit (and avoid the low blood levels) of levodopa. In short, this is an issue that may improve with some discussion with her doctor.

lajygal replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
    thanks so much for replying. I will let her know what you have suggested,

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
    Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    21 of 31 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center