Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
cause for Parkinson's Disease
An_246761 posted:
My husband was diagnosed over 9 years ago with Parkinsons Disease. Years earlier, he was given a cadaver bone in his neck. Is it possible that the dna from the bone had Parkinson's in it? No one in his family has ever had Parkinson's Disease. He has two brothers and neither have symptoms either.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear An_24671
Thank you for your note. I am not sure we could ever know if the cadaver transplant could be a trigger for PD, but most of the time, this disorder would not affect multiple family members. I had never really thought about PD risk and transplant. With transplant of functioning organs - like heart, lung, kidney - there are live cells, so maybe. However, the PD symptoms seen in these cases is usually from medications for nausea.

A cadaver graft would not be likely to have live cells, so it is most unlikely.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center