Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
How quickly will Parkinson's progress from stage 1 to stage 3?
DJMast posted:
My husband is 67 and recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. He has tremors in his right leg and stiffness in his right arm, as well as a bit of dragging of his right foot. He just started on Levadopa. He is very active, and loves to hike, climb mountains, ride bicycle, etc. Other than Parkinson's, his health and weight are good. I understand that Parkinson's is different for everyone, but we are trying to determine how many years we have until his sypmtoms make it difficult or even impossible to do these things. He wants to work until he is 70, but we wonder if he will be able to? Do we have 3 years? 5 years? More? Less? Any input would be greatly appreciated as we prepare mentally, emotionally and physically for this journey in life

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear DJMast,
Although none of us have a crystal ball, here is the data most specific to your question. In the late 1990's we compared 2 forms of levodopa in more than 800 people. If the patients tolerated the levodopa, and most did, they were followed for 5 years. Neurological exams at the end of 5 years found that every subject had a better motor examination than they did at study entry.

In summary, give your husband about 3 months to get used to the medication, and know that 5 years from now he will be better than he was last month. Bad news: he will now have to work until he is 70...

Helpful Tips

Aware in Care Hospital Action Plan
I just wanted to let you guys know that I found the BEST thing ever to keep with papers that you take to the hospital! It's called ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center