Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
health care
worn1 posted:
Dr Stacy you may not be able to answer this question. What impact will the health care law have on treament and research for Parkinson's?
w
By the way you may not know what it is like to hear you have Parkinson's but you make up for it with compassion.
Just think of yourself as the person holding the rope on the other end of a life preserver.(SP)
With out dedicated people like you we would cease to exist sooner and during our shortened life span quality of life would be non-existent.
'even though I can think of worse diseases I would not wish Parkinson's on my worst enemy. Watching your self slowly being destroyed is hard to do.
There are none so blind as those that will not see

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Hi, worn1
Thank you for your kind words.

As for the future of health care and research support for PD, I do not have good answers. I do think the healthcare dollars for patient care will be shrinking, but that does not necessarily say the quality will change. Federal research dollars are also shrinking. This will likely lead to a greater effect on basic science research. Hopefully, the increasing age of our population will continue to make PD drug development a target for biotech and development.

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy
Thank you for an honest answer. I work in a lab and have noticed some of the doctors are leaving the profession. With the cost of malpractice insurance along with the other costs it has become cost prohibitive to practice medicine. The hospitals are cutting back on staffing leaving a heavy work load for those still employed. I have 4 years til retirement and I do not know if I can keep up working the bench in addition to the other duties I have been assigned. With the unemployment rate patients are unable to pay thier bills which is revenue lost for paying staff, supplies etc. Some of the hospitals are bordering on going under. I believe those of us with Parkinson's and other diseases are going to end up on the bottom of the list requiring care. Something has to give some where and I think those who require the least amount of medical care will be the winners. Sort of like triage in a combat situation. Those that can be returned to combat and those that have the best chance of survivial will be taken care of. Those needing extensive care or unlikely to live a productive life will receive care to make them comfortable but not to save thier lives.
Hope I am wrong.
w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center