Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Parkinsons vs Fibromyalgia
aunt_sister posted:
I have been told by a Neurologist that I have Parkinsonisms, my Primary Care Physician tells me I have Fibromyalgia. Who should I believe. I followed a link on this web page for Fibromyalgia medications and was taken to a discussion on Parkinsons Medications. Are the 2 diseases' similar, do they have symptoms in common? I am confused about how to manage my pain. I would like to hear from a professional in response, please.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear aunt_sister
It is not impossible for both doctors to be correct. However, I would suggest concentrating your care with the doctor treating symptoms that are most bothersome. That sounds like pain, and fibromyalgia.

aunt_sister replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr Stacy,
I would follow your advise except my problem is knowing which symptom is FM, and which is PD. The pain is in the muscles, joints, nerves from my shoulders to my feet, alternating. In the morning after abt 4/6 hrs sleep, I manage to ambulate without much pain for about an hour, then it hits like a train. In the meantime,my teeth, tongue, jaw, lips, neck skin all tremble almost constantly; my hands shake when I try to eat, my throat gets sore and voice gets softer and softer. I take neurontin, cymbalta, sinemet, requip xr, and a few other non-related meds. I don't know if I should fight through the pain and keep moving around or spend my days in the recliner or bed.
Thx for your reply.

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center