Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Is there any treatment for Parkinson's dysphagia ?
orca2012 posted:
One more additional question : is there a fluid form for the regular Parkinson's medication which can be given to the patient as an IV ?
So right now my uncle faces 2 problems : he cannot take any regular Parkinson's medications due to dysphagia and is there any treatment for the Parkinson's dysphagia itself ? Thanks for your time.
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear orca2012,
There are no IV forms or PD therapy in the United States. In Europe there is an IV form of a PD drug called Lisuride. Your uncle would need to see a specialist to receive this drug. Here are some additional options to consider:
Parcopa 25/100 is a form of carbidopa/levodopa that rapidly dissolves in the mouth, and is absorbed by the oral mucous membranes. Therefore, does not require swallowing. His general doctor may order this.
Duodopa is a gel containing carbidopa/levodopa that is slowly infused through a feeding tube. If he has a feeding tube in place, this may be a good alternative. He would need to see a parkinson specialist for this.
Neupro patch contains rotigotine, a dopamine agonist in the same class as Mirapex and Requip. It may be prescribed by a general physician, also.

As for swallowing treatment, I would recommend a consult with a speech therapist with experience in treating PD.
lovedogs1955 responded:
I had a swallow test done last week and now need to schedule a few sessions with the Speech Therapist, The goa if therapy is to "train" some of the areas in my throat how to swallow better and not get fluids and food stuck in my vocal cords. I'll let you know how it goes.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center