Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Is there any treatment for Parkinson's dysphagia ?
    orca2012 posted:
    One more additional question : is there a fluid form for the regular Parkinson's medication which can be given to the patient as an IV ?
    So right now my uncle faces 2 problems : he cannot take any regular Parkinson's medications due to dysphagia and is there any treatment for the Parkinson's dysphagia itself ? Thanks for your time.
    Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
    Dear orca2012,
    There are no IV forms or PD therapy in the United States. In Europe there is an IV form of a PD drug called Lisuride. Your uncle would need to see a specialist to receive this drug. Here are some additional options to consider:
    Parcopa 25/100 is a form of carbidopa/levodopa that rapidly dissolves in the mouth, and is absorbed by the oral mucous membranes. Therefore, does not require swallowing. His general doctor may order this.
    Duodopa is a gel containing carbidopa/levodopa that is slowly infused through a feeding tube. If he has a feeding tube in place, this may be a good alternative. He would need to see a parkinson specialist for this.
    Neupro patch contains rotigotine, a dopamine agonist in the same class as Mirapex and Requip. It may be prescribed by a general physician, also.

    As for swallowing treatment, I would recommend a consult with a speech therapist with experience in treating PD.
    lovedogs1955 responded:
    I had a swallow test done last week and now need to schedule a few sessions with the Speech Therapist, The goa if therapy is to "train" some of the areas in my throat how to swallow better and not get fluids and food stuck in my vocal cords. I'll let you know how it goes.

    Helpful Tips

    What would you like to know?Expert
    Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    22 of 32 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center