Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
glutathione
worn1 posted:
Dr Stacy what is your opinion on glutathione. If toxins are part of the problem would gluthathione be part of the cure. What is your opinion on acupuncture. I'm am considering acupuncture to see if it helps.
w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear worn1
Glutathione and acupuncture have never been proven to improve symptoms of PD. In that setting I would caution everyone to beware of statements that sound too good to be true... I promise you that if these agents had been proven to work, the Parkinson's Disease medical community would be actively recommending them as mainstream treatments.

Now I will step off the soapbox.

Glutathione is a theoretical treatment for PD, but we have not proven it can go from the blood stream to the brain. I would be careful with money output for pills or injections of this product.

Accupuncture represents mysticism for me. I do not think it will cause any harm, and if you pursue, think about what you would want for an outcome, and how many sessions you are willing to trade for your money!

worn1 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Thanks Dr Stacy
. Dr Stacy if it improves my ability to move and reduces the pain even slightly it is worth it. The medication i am on works but there is always some pain. It is hard to breath in heat and humidity and my legs ache when i climb the stairs. The combination of sunlight and heat causes fatigue. where as cold and darkness create energy. So if sticking pins into my body improves even a little bit it is worth it.
I need to research and find out what to look for when searching for an acupunturist. I will post the results. IF i get results who knows maybe you will try it on some of your patients. And you are thinking when pigs fly.

I have nothing to loose and everything to gain

w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 48 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center