Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
supplements for parkinsons
katieheagney posted:
my mother has been diagnosed with parkinsons. she is still in the early stages. she has mild tremors, and her legs freeze. she has recently started having balance problems. she is hesitant to start any medications because of the side effects.

what supplements can anyone suggest that you have found to help with parkinsons symptoms?

worn1 responded:
katieheagney
I have not found any supplements that will relieve symptoms. have your mom call and talk to her neurologist and explain her hesitancy in taking her medication due to the side effects. Keep in mind everyone does not experience side effects. I can tell you i have experienced no side affects.
There are none so blind as those that will not see

rockinghorse8_54 replied to worn1's response:
tho looking bk, i prob hv had PD for 2 yrs but just diag 2 mo.s ago due to obvious tremor in hand and same rite side foot has lost a lil strength. I AM TERRIFIED AT 58, depression to pt of planning suicide at the thot of whats ahead put me on effexor rx antidepressant - aft 2nd pill i had fulll body jerks and side of mouth being jerked dwn when trying to sleep so got off. i am now scared to start any PD meds fr things i hv read. i am so sensitive that while other then lite tremor and foot numbing at times; just fabreeze sprayed in hse brot on body jerks and 1 mouth jerk that nite; terrified i left hse first thing that morn and at lakehse slept sound next nite and sev nites after..i was so scared that those jerks wld stick and be irriversable!! i sell ranches and need to cont to work as long at possible. i am so scared i cry alot, like now...scared to and scared not to take PD meds; in general they hv a bad rap and grow to halucinations...any guidance, any experiences, ANYONE pls help me. when i was so depressed with thots of ending it all i called my neorologist that had diag me to talk to him and his nurse said 'we dont do that, u need to call primary care phy or go to hospital'. anyone successfully do the holistic approach?? ty for listening. my2 sweet dependable dogs are what kept me here; they wld b so scared if i were gone. my sym are mild but invisions of my future horrify me

worn1 replied to rockinghorse8_54's response:
Dr Stacy, lovedogs1955 and Haylen this is your area of expertise. NEED YOUR INPUT. rockinghorse8_54 Parkinson's is different for everyone. One of the most important things is to keep a postive attitude. Learn every thing you can about Parkinsons. The more you know the less fear Depression is one of the things neurologists look for. and will usually prescribe medication for it. It sounds like you need to see another neurologist. Or your current neurologist needs a different nurse. In the mean time talk to your pups. I do. I have 2. A lot of times I just need someone to listen and not respond. People tend to respond and tell others. They also lift my spirits. They seem to know when you need a lift. For instance this morning I just did not feel like moving---this is a must in order to keep moving. They ganged up with shadow staring me down and taz swiping the covers. along with lots of sloppy kisses.
Also talk to your clergy. they are a big help. Is there a support group in your area. if so call and attend. Hopefully Dr Stacy and lovedogs1955 and Haylen will see your post and respond.
I wish I could be of more help
w.

first - bless u for caring to reply, i feel so alone in this..and u understanding the importance our canines play is awesome. i got to the pt of reviewing how i cld die (with all my blessings and minor hand tremor at present); it was imagining the fear my 2 girls (dogs) when i was not here that kept me here. my one girl wld sit and watch for me forever and that hurt my heart at the thot. so ty for the shared love of our dogs. i was put on effexor rx for antidepressant at emergency but aft just 2 pills i had full body jerks and my corners of mouth were being pulled down as i tried to sleep; NONE OF WHICH I HAD BEFORE, so got off immediately! they did work in the sense that i was more afraid of something else over the minor Park symptoms. seems best for me to control minor inside tremors that shake ur core of confidence with a low dose xanax that i hv had for years for anxiety but 1 mo worth used to last over a yr. now take .25 MG ea day to help with edginess. I FEAR THE MEDS OF PARK MOST OF ALL. sev articles say they are temp, always having to increase to pt of hallucinations and some say they actually worsen. EX. DR BLAYLOCK, NEUROLOGIST WHOS PARENTS DIED OF PARK SAYS:
dyskinesas - causes uncontrolled writhing movements, nausia, hallucinations, and on/off pheomenon!!!!!!!!! so i just focus on consuming a ton of sources of antioxidents for now. anyone care to share stories along these lines?

rockinghorse8_54 replied to rockinghorse8_54's response:
noticed i repeated info on anti depresssant-sorry

worn1 replied to rockinghorse8_54's response:
rockinghorse8_54
I hate doctors who try to scare patients. Read the books written by Michael J Fox. They are great. In fact it is Mr Fox who has done so much to get people to talk about parkinsons and the big boost in research. I can not stress enough not everyone reacts to medication in the same way. Nor does Parkinson advance at the same pace. Some take years to advance some move from one stage to another in a short period of time. Execise is your friend. The old saying use it or loose it applies to parkinson's. I have been diagnosed for 4 years but have had parkinson's for quite some time. I can trace the signs back to 2000. It did not become bad until 2003. and doctors told me it was all in my mind. I just had my first change in medication. the neurologist added sinemet and increased the stalevo.
I have no sense of balance so no ladders, esculators. I can stil do everything I did before parkinsons except where balance is concerned.
I still plan on getting a pink vespa with a side car. For Taz of course Taz is my baby. she is a gsd and Shadow is her service dog. Shadow is a border collie and is my husbands.
Taz is sight and hearing impaired so where you find one you find the other.
You need to sit down with your neurologist and have a serious conversation about the disease and about depression. If he does not deal with it look around for a different dr. If he does let himk now about your experience with the nurse. Just like any other profession there are good and bad.
Finally your attitude will affect parkinson's. avoid negative people. look for the good not the bad. and start with a positive aattitude. wacth funny shows/programs. who makes you laugh. who ever said laughter is the best medicine knew what they were talking about. My favorite movie is Denis the Menace. I was laughing so hard i had tears comming down my face.

w

rockinghorse8_54 responded:
am in same boat... research Dr Blaylock whos both parents died of Park; he is a neorologist dedicated to research better options for 30 yrs. get his BLAYLOCK WELLNESS REPORT (but stay away from his newsmax (or whatever it is called, it is a news letter on politics).
ur mom needs to drink a glass of red wine to relax tremor, neeeds to understand bombarding herself with foods for antioxidents that battle the free radicals in her head that are killing brain cells, blaylock details imp of brocolli, turmeric, coffee, green tea, and red wine for the most antioxidants; eat up to 5 servings of veggies a day (I KNOW!), ETC. then watch the video on line of dr david Perlmutter before and aft he infuses glutathione intravenously www.perlhealth.com/about.php it will amaze u. i am in search of a dr that will do this for me before i get worse. i too DONT WANT TO B ON PARK MEDS; blaylock details what they really do - he lived it thru both parents and is a prof on the subject. I WISH U BOTH THE BEST - esp ck out the indian spice turmeric!!! and i find a 5MG of valium or xanax calms my tremor in hand and that dam interior tremor that shakes our core of confidence. ANTIOXIDANTS ARE KEY, drink 1-2 glasses of RED wine (red is only wine made with skins for antiox) GOD BLESS U both; let me know ur progress

thanks for taking the time to reply.. any med that can cause hallucinations (dr was the one to tell me this as P progresses) I want nothing to do with. i may hv no choice one daaay, but pray this is not so for YEARSSSSSSSSSSSSS

zuolei responded:
Katieheagney hello! Your mother's PD at an early stage. I am a Chinese mechanical maintenance and technical personnel, I put the three PD, one is my mother, she used to hand, leg very trembling, have now been restored 2 years and seven months, and the other a 64 - year - old than my mother is serious, walking inconvenience, spirit of trance, and a 76 - year - old her hand trembling, two I treatment, I give the 76 - year - old she treatment more than twenty days, from 2013 on January 4,, began to stop to take medicine. You can have your mom make some suitable for their own motion, eat lotus seeds, lily, beans, vegetables, food, wish your mother can recover soon!

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center