Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Is there such a thing as a Parkinson's Flare?
lovedogs1955 posted:
Well, once again I have had an episode that no one seems to understand what happened. When my PD first showed its head to me, it seemed to affect my diaphragm/respiratory muscles first. This lead to severe chest pain and shortness of breath with even minimal activity, including talking/laughing. Over the past 6 years, I have been able to improve in that area, but the same type of pain is now in all of my major muscles and increases with too much activity or stress. That being said, here is what happened a few days ago,

I had one of my two dogs attacked by a larger dog, while my dogs were leashed. The dog that was attacked managed to wiggle out of his harness and took off running. I was afraid for that dog's safety, so I took off after him as fast as I could with my leashed dog and my cane. ( I also wear a leg brace due to foot drop). Long story short, both dogs did fine and we arrived back home in one piece. However, I had a significant amount of chest pain and shortness of breath, which gradually subsided with time and rest, The following afternoon, I was sitting in recliner and watching TV when out of the blue, I had SEVERE chest pain start mid-chest and it "bloomed" upwards going all the way to the top of my head. No nausea or vomiting. No pain down either arm, The pain did not fluctuate...stayed at the same intensity for about 20 minutes. It subsided on its own, but ever since, I am having symptoms like I had when all of this PD started. My husband said that after the episode, my face was pale and my eyes were droopy.

I have spoken with my cardiologist and was seen by my oncologist yesterday. Both of them feel that it was my Parkinson's that was aggrevated by the spurt of running that I did chasing the dog.

I guess my question is this...how would I describe this episode to health care professionals other than "chest pain and shortness of breath?" Is there such a phenomomen as Parkinson's "flare" or "crisis?"

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear lovedogs 1955
It is hard to attribute all of these symptoms to PD, but there are times when PD can become suddenly worse. This is usually associated with a change in health (for instance a urinary tract infection or other medical problem), stress/anxiety, or depression. I suspect this was stressful, but the exertion may also have increased your fluid loss. This would result in a drop in blood pressure, and may explain the chest pain.

Drink more water!

lovedogs1955 replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Thank you, Dr. Stacy! I do drink lot's of water, but maybe I was a little bit short that day. This is definitely a learning process, isn't it?

lovedogs1955 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
I re-read my original post and I am back to my original question. Does anyone have the proper "lingo" that I can use to report what happened? My problem is that if I need to seek emergency care, if I say "chest pain" that automatically starts the cardiac work up and no one listens to anything else that I would have to say.

lepman replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Well...I heard of M.S. Hug...Maybe P.D. Hug....?

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Hi, lovedogs1955,
It is hard to focus on other issues, after the words "chest pain." I would suggest that you start with shortness of breath - and that you are worried about whether this is a worsening of your PD symptoms. See if that keeps the doctor standing and talking, rather than running and ordering...

lovedogs1955 replied to lepman's response:
I never heard of MS Hug...sounds interesting. I've heard of MS/Lupus/Parkinson's Crisis. Would that be similar?

As for me, I'm still having the pain and am tired almost all of the time, Going to see my Cardiologist after Christmas to check things out.

lovedogs1955 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
I saw my Oncologist and Cardiologist after my last posting and they seem to be of the opinion that what I am experiencing is spasms. Makes sense. Also that the increase of intensity of my symptoms most likely signals some progression of my PD. Also makes sense.

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center