Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
PD Symptoms vs Infection
An_250062 posted:
How lucky am I to find Dr. Stacy on WebMD?!? My mother was a patient of yours up until 3 yrs ago when we moved to the West Coast and I brought her with me. About that time she developed her first UTI which you diagnosed via email. Her only symptoms were confusion, hallucinations, and very sudden and sporadic slurred speech and lose of movement. She has had frequent UTI's ever since and the urologists seem to be at a loss. I understand these are common in PD patients. Each time she gets one my first clues are the hallucinations and confusion. For the past 6 mos they have been constant. She tests positive for UTI, received oral antibiotics and then about a week after the treatment finishes we're back to square one. I have suggested to both the PCP and the urologist that perhaps she has never been cured of the infection and needs a stronger injection or IV antibiotic. One told me they would not hospitalize for UTI and another told me I'd have to take her to the ER to get her admitted. Well I tried that on two occasions but since the dipstick tested negative at the time (probably due to the recent completion of oral antiobiotics) they would not admit her. I think both of these doctors as well as several caregivers believe this is just end-of-life PD. After reading several posts online it does sound like this is how the last few days of a PD patient's life can be described. When I read these posts I have to wonder was it really end of life for these patients or were they possibly infected with bacteria that might have made them seem off kilter. I've really struggling with this right now. Everyone is beginning to make me feel like I am the crazy one and that I cannot accept the fact my mother is dying. If it is end of life PD I can accept that and I hope her suffering ends quickly. But I don't know how to be sure whether it is that or the infection. Your advise is greatly appreciated!

Helpful Tips

SYMPTONS OF PARKINSONS
My legs ache when standing, they feel like lead weights. Also I get severe chills. Are these symptons of Parkinsons? More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center