Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
trigger finger
just_another_hill_to_climb posted:
I was told that I had PD about 8 years ago. after I got meds right I started working again. I have a problem now with my hand. Dr called it "trigger finger". I was wondering if PD could have helped cause this. I have been active my whole life an never had anything like this.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear just_another_hill_to_climb
Trigger finger often is a term to describe and abnormal finger posture in which the 2nd knuckle seems to catch, making it difficult to make a fist or hold an object. In some instances this is related to parkinsonism - particularly if you had an abnormal posture in the hand. You may wish to google the term, "striatal hand" to see if those photos are similar to the posture you are experiencing.

lovedogs1955 responded:
I had trigger finger of my right thumb a few years ago, just a few months after finishing chemotherapy and before I knew that I have PD. Mine required a very simple surgery for the tendon to be released and I haven't had any problems with the thumb ever since. My surgery was performed by an Orthopedic surgeon and then I had to have a few weeks of Occupational Therapy to help get strength and function back.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center