Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Juvenile Parkinson's
Mexican_Baller posted:
So just some background on me. My Dad, who is in his mid 50s, has had Parkinson's for a few years now. He takes a "red pill", sorry but I'm unsure of the actual name, which for as long as remember he would take once he wakes up and then again at noon. But recently he was prescribed to take another pill at 3:00 pm, of this helps. This increase in dosage has prompted me to gain and better understanding of his condition since I am old enough, 15, to fully comprehend the magnitude of this disease. But I found something rather startling; I exhibit many of the symptoms notorious with Juvenile Parkinson's. Some symptoms include loss of smell, trembling hands, difficulty writing, etc. I actually show all of these. The only things I have ease in smelling is when one of my classmates farts in locker room, and my feet after a good workout, as crazy as it sounds. If I ever hold my arms straight out in front of me, my hands have a slight, yet noticeable, shake to them; granted this is most likely linked to my stressful school schedule. Finally, I have been combining letters while printing, which I have never done before. Do I think I have juvenile Parkinson's? No, but I know that there a certain hereditary factor to early on set Parkinson's which is my main concern. I also have a brother who is 14, but he has not shown, to my knowledge, any symptoms. Now I may just be a worried child who is concerned about his father since he knows the path will be a very challenging one, but hey you can never be too safe.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

I hope all of you or your loved ones are doing well; my prayers go out to all of you.

God Bless

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear Mexican_Baller
Thank you for your note. I do not think you have Juvenile Parkinson's Disease. It is much more likely you have the symptoms of Benign Essential Tremor. This produces the type of tremor you describe when you hold your hands out in front of you. I would share your concerns with your parents, and ask them to have your doctor verify this diagnosis, and ask about whether you should have treatment.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center