Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Drs. cannot make a diagnose
Logan542 posted:
My son has been in four hospitals in the last six weeks. He passed out in the drs. office, and they took him to a shospital.....he cannot stand or walk......they have run every test and scans. They did find a mass in his lung which they removed, but said they cannot identify it. Because he has been in so long he has lost thirty pounds and very weak. They gave him a choice today of going to Hospice or home...he said home, so they are taking him there by ambulance. How can they do that witout knowing what is wrong with him. I am elderly and have had two cancer surgeries, and they are always your little kids...I am so worried.

worn1 responded:
Logan542 I am reluctant to answer your inquiry. We usually only respond to Parkinson questions but I think you are looking for some type of moral support. I wish I could tell you do not worry everything will be all right.
I am not a doctor but from the information you have given I suspect your son may be terminally ill. Usually a person goes to a hospice to recieve care if they are terminal or critcal. The idea is to make the person as comfortable as possible. You need to have a heart to heart talk with your son. Let him know how much you care for him and how worried you are. If it turns out he is terminal spend as much time with him as you can. Talk to your priest, find a local support group. The doctor should be able to give a list of agencies or support groups.
I wish I could help. My prays are with you and your son

w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

lovedogs1955 replied to worn1's response:
Logan542...worn1 has definitely given advice that is true. I am a retired RN (worked for over 30 years) and I am sort of stumped as to the best advice to give to you.

There are a few discussions that must occur for not only your peace of mind, but his. Ask your son to share with you everything that the doctors have told me about what is going on. I assume he has put you down on the HIPPA form as someone that can be told this type of information. If not, it MUST be done. The other discussions should be done with the health care professionals that are in charge of his care, namely his MD that told him hospice or home. This is usually a choice given to someone who is terminally ill.

Does any home health agency come to the house to help with monitoring of his condition? Having no idea what type of insurance your son has (or his previous medical condition), I don't know if he has a Case Manager associated with his insurance. If so, this person (usually a nurse or can be a social worker) should be able to guide you both through is maze and figure out what is going on. Any follow up physician visits after being discharged? If so, you need to go into the room with your son so that you can also hear what is being told to him.

There are so many unanswered questions here. It sounds like there is a bit of work to be done, and as quickly as possible, to find out what in the heck is going on. I hope this helps you.

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center