Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Parkinson's and Shortness of Breath
rainbop posted:
I am just 45. I hit the ER with my oxygen at 74% after a few falls and some confusion trying to get myself around town on the city bus that I take on a daily basis for 7 yrs. It's been 2 months since I was diagnosed with COPD and my legs and hands have developed severe tremors. My Psychiatrist has just prescribed gabapentin and so I am now worried about Parkinson's and how to go about ruling it out or in...there are close female family members older than me who have tremors and a distant male who was diagnosed Parkinson's long ago.

Take the Poll

How do I know if it's Parkinson's?
  • They are related?
  • One masks the other?
  • We aren't believed?
vote
View Poll Results

lovedogs1955 responded:
Hi rainbop...shortness of breath (SOB) has been a complaint of mine ever since Parkinson's started showing itself in me. It is accompanied by chest tightness/pain, which my doctors feel is the diaphragm being affected by the Parkinson's. Makes sense ---it IS a muscle. Anyway, a few weeks ago I was given a basic pulmonary function test and I didn't do very well. First of three "blows" I barely made it to 50% and my third and final blow was 30%. My husband bought me a pulse oxmeter so I can keep track of it here at home. When I was in the hospital with meningitis in late March, the lowest pulse ox I had was 95, just lying in bed. Since I have been home I have been able to monitor my Oxygen levels. Had an all time low of 86 yesterday after I unloaded the dishwasher and folded laundry. The SOB has always occured with upper body exertion, talking too long or laughing too hard.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Aware in Care Hospital Action Plan
I just wanted to let you guys know that I found the BEST thing ever to keep with papers that you take to the hospital! It's called ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center