Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
decrease appetite
rcg71 posted:
My mother has PD and was diagnosed in 2007. The last year and a half she has really declined. The last 3-4 wks her eating has really decreased , she really does not have weight to lose now. She also is more slumped all the time , I believe that is called stouper(sp). When she was originally diagnosed her dr told her PD would not kill her something else would, but at this point I am wondering. Is the decrease appetite part of PD and the stouper? Also do you recommend any neuro's in east TN?

rcg71 responded:
I also want to know is dementia a part of PD?

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear rcg71,
I am sorry your mother is not doing well. While dementia can occur in people with PD, it is usually not this sudden. I would suggest she sees her physician to evaluate for dehydration, UTI, or other infection. If her cbc and metabolic blood work are OK, then I would talk to her neurologist about medication adjustment, adding a medicine for memory or for depression.

I am not in the habit of rec doctors for PD, but it is reasonable to ask your neurologist for a referral for a second opinion, or go to the APDA or NPF websites to see if there is a PD center nearby.

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center