Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
father with PD qeuestion on Cpap other
sunshine49 posted:
my dad has had PD for aprox 20yrs , he seems to have breathing difficulty when he goes to sleep. his 02 stats are good, on the pulse OX , (even when he was hospitalized it was at constant check whit good stats) what I see is that he breathes with his mouth open and it creates a very dry mouth and thought, and he feels he cant breath, once he is relived with something to drink he can swallow and breather easier. dose this sound logical?? family believes he needs a cpap?? I have spoke to his drs and they seem to feel the same as myself.. I would think that with a cpap it would create more dryness from the O2?? and make it worse. I have baby monitors in my room at night and he sounds like darth vader.. I have never heard him stop breathing, or pausing...when he goes to sleep I repeat how to breath as he seems to forget . he has had PD for a long time and I have noticed In the last 2 years alzhyerss symptoms?? from what I have read the too seem to go hand in hand is this true? grand father had both.. can you give some advice suggestions. what else ??

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Dear sunshine49
I think your dad needs to have a sleep study to determine if he has sleep apnea. If so, the doctors can likely find a cpap machine to help with his breathing and his dry mouth.

You are also correct that memory problems may occur in Parkinson's Disease, but I would not say this is a given. I am hopeful that if your father is better rested, his memory will get much better

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
65 of 81 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center