Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
My Dad has Parkinsons
An_252968 posted:
I'm a teenager and my Dad has Parkinsons. I was wondering if anyone could give me some resources to go; I'm having trouble finding information on other teens dealing with this, since most times the kids are already grown up when the Parkinsons comes on.
Also, any tips on how I can help him? I do love him alot, and sometimes I'm concerned about how he may be doing emotionally.

worn1 responded:
I wish I could do more. So far The only help I can find for you is a phone number to Parkinson Disease Foundation.
1-800-457-6676.

The biggest tip I can give you is to tell your father that you love him.
I do have some suggestions:
Let your father know about this site. He can vent ask questions and most of the time he will get an answer. May not be what he wants to hear. Dr Stacy is great and usually answers questions with in 7 days.

Have you gone with your father when he see's his neurologist? If not ask if you can go. If your father says ok have a list of questions ready for the Doctor. Also ask about support groups.

What questiions do you have? We will answer them if we can.

Last note: Parkinson affects everyone differently. Parkinson advances rapidly in some people and slowly in others. What treatment works for one person may not work for someone else.

Parkinson thrives on stress and negativity.

I always try and look on the positive side. For me it was finally finding out what I had and getting the medications to help me move again and control the pain.

w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

cowgirl4hope replied to worn1's response:
Hi,
Thank you for your reply!

I went once, but it was a couple years ago. I don't know if he'll let me go in or not; he doesn't usually like people going in with him, but that is a good idea! Because he might let me.

He has gotten alot worse, so I worry about how well he'll be doing in a few years when I graduate from highschool, and stuff.

I have a question, how can I have a normal/stronger relationship with him? I feel like the Parkinsons really complicates things.

lovedogs1955 replied to cowgirl4hope's response:
Wow cowgirl, you sound like such a mature and loving daughter! Your father is so very lucky to have you in his life and so willing to help. I don't know how old you are and if it's just you and your father living in the home.

I agree with worn1's suggestions for you. Is there a Parkinson's Disease support group that meets nearby? These are usually open for patients and their support person(s) to attend together.

Try to be as "normal" with your father as you can. I totally understand that is difficult to do. Offer to help him when you believe he needs the help. Allow him to be as independent as possible. It will obvious when he can't safely perform his usual activities. I hope your Dad can see when he can't do these anymore and if he can't, that you or someone can begin taking over more of the activities/chores without making him defensive. Are there any adult male friends of you Dad's that can help?

I think the hardest thing for me to do was stop driving when I realized I was afraid of hurting someone. It's been very hard for me to learn how to ask for help, but I have found that my group is happy to lend a hand because they want to feel "needed."

Use us as resources whenever you need to. Like worn1 said, most of us have faced different aspects of this disease and as a whole, we are a wealth of knowledge! (as long as we can remember ! )

cowgirl4hope replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Hi, thank you!

cowgirl4hope replied to cowgirl4hope's response:
I don't want to say to much, because I don't want him to find this and be embarrassed. Is there a way I could delete some of my posts, to avoid that?
I think there may be, and that's something we could check into.
Yes, I think it's important to feel needed. Do you have any suggestions of things he could do to feel useful?
I think he does, but I know it's hard for guys to let someone else help them, even people who don't have Parkinsons.

worn1 replied to cowgirl4hope's response:
Lets try this again. I was just booted out.
cowgirl4hope
Sorry it has taken so long to respond. First no one her knows your name or your fathers name. We donot know where you live or any thing else about you so it would be difficult for your father to say this post is about him.
second: Please call the number I gave you. This foundation will find a support group in your area if there is one.
Be your self. Do not take over everything thinking this is a help.
IF you want to learn to cook ask him to teach your or take class in school that also teaches nutrition. You may decide you like it and may decide to become a famous chef What hobbies do you and your father have in common? Gardening? Researching your herritage, chess, art.walking, volunteering at the local shelter or rescue, Do you like to watch sports.
To put it in a nutshell do activities together.are you interested in science? Start researching parkinsons.
Above alll NEVER show pity. We know our brain is slowly being destroyed
I have adopted the saying of use it or loose. If you donot execise both mind and body you will loose it. Get to know the enemy.
Last thing there is a site called Viartis. I think you will find it intersting
FYI I am considered a young parkinson. I have been abel to go badk as early now as my 30's. At that time I was beginning to loose my sense of balance. I could not walk a treadmill without holding onto the rails. I still work and i volunteer for a local rescue.
I hope I have helped in some way
w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center