Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Parkinson's and Dementia
An_252999 posted:
Could anyone help me? My husband has had Parkinson's for over 9 years and has been diagnosed with mild dementia. My question is does anyone have any input on personality disorder with Parkinson's. My husband sometimes has bizarre behavior with arguing and fighting and sometimes keeps me up all night because he can't sleep. It is very distressing. Thanks in advance.

worn1 responded:
an252999
I think you should check with his neurologist. Some medications can cause hallucinations. Maybe he thinks he is actually fighting with some one. I know the other night I woke up out of a sound sleep thinking some one was calling my name. It was so real. Also check with his neurologist about his lack of sleep. I also found info on web md health center.
w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

njladyluck responded:
Hi An, There are medicines your hubby can take to help him sleep at night that really work for people with PD. Right now I am in the mode every 2:00 am I am up and out of bed doing things. Then I am tired and grouchy at 8:00 pm after work and am in bed. It comes and goes - it used to be 3:30 am and I don't know where my head got 2:00 am but that is when I wake up now. If I do something after work and go to bed about 10:00 pm then I sleep later - but I am so tired after getting up at 2:00 am I don't want to do anything after work. But I have to break this crazy schedule because it is driving my husband crazy!!!! If I can't get it straightened out I will ask my neuro to write me a prescription - she has offered to do it before. Right now I am going to focus on staying up (awake) until 10:00 pm when my husband goes to bed and see if that does the trick. Good luck. Just let your neuro know. Maybe Dr. Stacy is on vacation. He is usually pretty regular answering.

sparky1109 responded:
I have suffered from sleep disorders my entire life and, from what I have learned, they are early indicators of PD. Agonist drugs for PD can also have a deleterious effect on sleep. Your neurologist should have some advice for you on this.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center