Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
PD and a feeding tube
6thof11 posted:
My mother has had PD with Lewey-Body for 15 years, in a wheelchair for 2 years and bedridden for 9 months mostly because she developed a pressure wound on her tail bone which has gotten worse. The bed sore will never heal as it is too big. She has lost her ability to talk (she tries, but speaks too softly to hear her) She is eating 2 doses of protein drink and 2 doses of ensure plus when she can the equivalent of 1 good meal a day. She also has been in a nursing home for 2 months with hospice support. Do you think a feeding tube ie: more nutrition, would help her heal from the bed sore? How many calories is reasonable for a bedridden person? As you can imagine the family is divided on this decision. What is the criteria for determining whether a feeding tube, IV tube is warranted?

njladyluck responded:
Hi 6th of 11. I don't know where the wonderful Dr. Stacy is but I hope everything is ok with him. I know Dr. Stacy has posted and responded to posts many times on this site about using feeding tubes. Maybe if you do a search on these discussions under that topic it will bring up his posts. I hope this helps until our very knowledgeable friend Dr. Stacy returns.

lovedogs1955 responded:
Hi 6th---sounds like you are dealing with a full plate, so to speak. Let me sort of advise you based on my former nursing career of over 30 years. The last 15 or so was pretty much exclusively Geriatrics/Dementia, which of course meant there was quite a bit of preparing for death.

I do see that your mom is in Hospice Care and I commend you and your family for taking that step. You don't mention your mom's age, but I am assuming that she is around 80 or so? Have you spoken with the Hospice Nurse about this situation? He/she would be your best resource for this since they know her. Also, has the nursing staff at the nursing home given any guidance on this issue?

Often, I found that those nasty pressure sores are extremely difficult to heal and to keep from getting infected. If she is not wanting to eat anymore and doesn't seem hungry, I would be inclined to NOT ask for a feeding tube.

What could be going on with your mom is that her body is starting to "shut down." This is not usually painful and can be made worse by forcing hydration or food into her. The forcing of nutrition into a body that doesn't want it anymore IS uncomfortable because you are forcing her body to work to utilize it when it can't properly process it anymore. I would think someone could help you and your family out with this.

Another question that comes to mind is does your mother have Advanced Directives? She might have already said in that document what she would and would not accept as her condition deterioated.

My best advice for you is to ensure your mother's comfort and safety. Continue to show her that you love her. Play music that she enjoys. Make good use of this time.

I hope this has helped you!

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center