Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Parkinson disease
maryfs posted:
Constriction of diaphram, difficulty and rapid breathing . Is there anyone who can suggest help. So painful, impossible tomove, also having burning tongue, throat, eyes. My dr has no suggestions, one suggested too much sinemet.
Thanks

lovedogs1955 responded:
maryfs......what you describe was how my Parkinson's first showed it's ugly head. i went through all sorts of cardiac and pulmonary testing with very little problems shown. I have tried one or two Parkinson's meds, but they make my pain and symptoms WORSE NOT BETTER.

The tongue not moving is also an issue with me, along with difficulty swallowing and esophageal strictions and spasms.

So.....here is how I deal and it helps for the most part. When the chest pain gets worse, it is often after I have spent too much time talking or laughing. I take a Rx pain med (Ultracet) and simply REST until I feel better. I now eat a mechanical soft diet, which means very little chewing. The more I chew, the more my tongue freezes and isn't able to initiate the swallow reflex.

A few years ago, I started noticing the same type of pain in my major muscles throughout my body. My movements are slower. So, this is the type of disease that I have. There is difficulty between my brain and the muscles involved. So, they FREEZE. Most patients have freezing in their obvious muscles, such as the ones that help us walk.

I hope this has helped you and given you some ideas. I also hope you have a good relationship with your neurologist and primary care doctor.

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center