Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Heal Pain
    rldumas posted:
    My father was diagnosed with a form of Parkinson's three years ago. Medications haven't been effective, his muscles are weak and stiff. Lately he has been having pain in the back and bottom of his heals, but only at night after he goes to bed. He sits in his recliner most of the day, he has to be transported in a wheelchair to the bathroom as he can no longer use his walker, so daytime and nighttime really aren't that different for him, but the pain only happens at night when he goes to bed. His doctor hasn't been able to give us any information. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone one know the cause?
    sparky1109 responded:
    You didn't say how old your father is or what medications he's tried, and as far as I know there are no diagnostic differentiations of 'forms' of Parkinson's.
    rldumas replied to sparky1109's response:
    He's 84. He was diagnosed three years ago and his neurologist said that he had a "form of Parkinson's" and that this form usually didn't respond to medication. Rather than shaking his muscles have gotten very stiff. I couldn't tell you the name of the medications he has tried but they haven't had any effect at all.
    sparky1109 replied to rldumas's response:
    You definitely need a new neurologist. The only way to diagnose Parkinson's Disease is to give the patient the dopaminergic replacement drugs and if the symptoms improve, he has it. There are several drug therapies that can be tried. Although your father is 84 he sounds strong enough to enjoy the quality of life for his remaining years. Try and find a neurologist who is a movement specialist.
    worn1 responded:
    rldumas When was the last time your father had a physical?
    His thyroid Checked? A1C? Thyroid and Diabetes can cause the same symptons. Your father could have PD and Something else. But as Sparky stated if the meds are not working it usually is not Parkinsons. But if he has developed Thyroid or Diabetes that have some of the same symptoms he would need meds to correct the problem in addition to PD meds. I have Thyroid problems in addition to PD and it is a challenge to figure out what is causing problems sometimes. Your thyroid is involved in so many areas and PD attacks so many areas. Diabetes can cause pain in your feet. Your father may have MS,MD. I am not a doctor. My advice to you would be to see his GP and ask for a complete thyroid work-up and screening for diabetes---A1C. I would also change neurologists. If the meds aren't working he should be finding out why.
    He should also refer you back to your GP for work up
    There are none so blind as those that will not see

    Helpful Tips

    doctor/patient experience with rytary
    Hi- I am a cc physician who was diagnosed 6 years ago at age 41--I have not had tremor or dyskinesia but certainly have significant off ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    1 of 1 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center