Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
bladder control
worn1 posted:
lovedogs1955 maybe you can answer the question on medication for bladder control. Medications are out of my realm of knowledge being a nurse you may be able to answer her question concerning her 83 yo mother. It is posted on bladder problems and Dr Stacy answered it. So expert is on top of the question box.

w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

cornwall responded:
I am sorry I don't understand your reply. This is the first time I hhave ever asked a question in this system. Could you tell me a little more about what I need to do to see any answers here? Thank you

worn1 replied to cornwall's response:
cornwall I have asked lovedogs1955 if she can answer your question. She is a retired nurse with Parkinson's. My expertise is Laboratory Medicine.
w
There are none so blind as those that will not see

lovedogs1955 replied to worn1's response:
I was trying to copy and paste a response I wrote 4 weeks ago on a similar question, which is further down on the list of discussions entitled something like Parkinson's and Bladder contril. Now that I am responding here I can't see what the question is from cornwall. If I don't answer your question, try to look below at the other discussion,

From what I understand about the effect of Parkinson's on the bladder, it is the same basic dysfunction of the nerves in the brain (the sender) to the nerves in the bladder (the receivers). Bascially, the pathway is broken and other muscles/nerves need to sort of compensate for the ones that are not working together anymore. I have found that for me what works the best is trying to remember to urinate every 2 hours or so during the day, so that my bladder doesn't get too full. Limit fluid intake after dinner. Have your mother try to exercise her muscles "down there" while she is sitting on the toilet. Best way to see which ones they are is to stop the flow of urine by tightening the muscles. Hold them tight for a few seconds and then release, allowing the urine to flow again. Once she knows how that feels, she can do that exercise as often as she wants to and doesn't even have to leave her chair!

What I personally am eperiencing is that I find that I often have to push to start the urine flow, especially if my bladder gets too full.

I hope this helps. This particular question has been asked on several discussions, so scroll down til you find the other ones. If you still have some questions, fire away! Good luck.

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center