Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
New to this
cjreinwald posted:
Hello, my name is Chris. My father is 60 years old and was just diagnosed with this disease. It has been 5 years he has been suffering and just now they finally figured out that this was the problem. I am an EMT but I have never been around this disease before and even though I'm the youngest of the kids, I live the closest and I feel its my responsibility to help him the best I can. What can I do to help? I am so overwhelmed by this and when I try to research it there is just so much to process. Where do I start? I don't understand this disease and I'm just lost right now. Can anyone help?

donnadee49 responded:
Chris, your first move is to go to the neuroligist (sp) with your dad. LIST YOUR BASIC QUESTIONS before you go. Read all you can in this web site Donna Dee

worn1 responded:
Chris I think you will see a vast improvement once your father is on medication. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter. With out it you have problems walking. Parkinson's affects more than just movement. It affects everything to include memory,the ability to learn,spelling,vocabulary. It affects vision, the ability to speak,swallowing. They are making great strides in treatment. There is one thing to keep in mind, Parkinson's affects everyone differently. Some show a slow progression in the disease some rapid advancement. Not all treatments work for everyone. Your father's personality may change. He will tire easly. He cannot due what he use to do, I can not stress this enough, He can not work full time, take care of the yard, repairs around the house , clean the car etc. He is going to try but take it from me it is too much. I still work full time, clean house , pay the bill, take care of my husband, work in the yard. I am always exhausted. Before Parkinson's no problem. I was the energizer bunny.
He needs to keep on seeing a neurologist who specializes in movement/Parkinson's Disease. A GP will not be able to evaluate your father as he does not keep up on the latest information and treatement on Parkinson's Disease.
Give your father time with the Neuro alone. He may have questions he wants to ask but may be embarrased to do so in front of you. Or have him write up his own list and have him make the comment on paper questions I have but do not want my son to be here, These may do with sex or problems between your mother and father. If he can not write use a voice recorder.
Let him be independent for as long as possible. Ask do not just assume it is ok to do something ie the yard work. Having someone come in and clean house. He needs to still be in charge of his life if possible. There are communities with assisted living that may interest your father.
Jo H
There are none so blind as those that will not see

worn1 replied to worn1's response:
I forgot to mention It is important to keep a positive attitude and stay out of negative situations and away from people with negative attitudes. Believe it or not it negative people affect the way you feel. This is especially true in Parkinson's.
There are none so blind as those that will not see

lovedogs1955 replied to worn1's response:
Ditto to worn1's comments. Parkinson's is a very personalilzed disease process and there are SO many parts of it. It's not just tremors.

This community has lot's of good and useful information. Also, go to the National Parkinson Foundattion web site and order the Aware in Care items. Extremely helpful information and it's free to download and to order print materials to be sent directly to him or youl

Feel free to ask questions anytime! We aren't shy!

donnadee49 responded:
I am a female... 64 yrs. old and my daughter and I put me into an assisted livving faciity. Here they can handle me i when it gets worse. I get physical threapy, meals laundrey and help when I need it. I have two grown daughters who have busy lives and families of their own. I am happy now and not too afraid of the future. Hope this will help you and may God Bless

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center