Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Depression as a precurssor to Parkinson's Disease.
sparky1109 posted:
I have read on many PD web pages that most Parkinson's patients suffer from depression. I was treated for depression several years prior to the onset of symptoms (and was given the drug Zyprexa about a month before the diagnosis of PD) at age forty-nine. The PD symptoms presented quickly and severely; the Zyprexa was stopped and I was given requip. Despite the many difficulties that I faced in my new life, the depression vaporized miraculously and hasn't returned. Six years into the treatment however I started exhibiting impulsive behaviors that were as severe as they were insidious. I now take Clozipine and Depakote to offset the manic behaviors resulting from the dopaminergic drugs I take for the PD. From what I understand from research on the net this is atypical of most patients. Do you have any insight into this set of circumstances?

Helpful Tips

Parkinson's app for iPad
I found a free app for my iPhone/iPad and it seems to be pretty good. It's called Parkinson's Central and it is sponsored by the National ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center