Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
My husband has Parkinson
jwpj86 posted:
John my husband has a lot of health problem,so it was a shock when they said he had Parkinson,he has it in his legs he cant walk very good,he also has back problems,his memory is real bad he has Diabetes which is up and down,his bowel and bladder is up and down,i am at my wits end,i don't know whats the future holds.

lovedogs1955 responded:
Dear jwpj86---so sorry to hear about your husband. You have come to the right place to read about this disease. There is lot's of medical information on the general WebMD site, but if you want to find out from those of us already in the trenches, read everything you can.

One thing I hope you will notice is that Parkinson's is very individualized. By that I mean, there are not too many of us that have the exact same clinical course. Has your husband been evaluated by a Movement Disorder clinic? If you are close to large medical institutions, you are most likely close to one. Do you like his Neurologist and is he/she a person you can be very open with? How about PD support group?

Make sure you educate yourself. There is a lot of free info out there that you can even order and have shipped to your home.

Good luck and keep coming back here.

chapblock responded:
Hi, jwpj86. Im a 65 year old male who was diagnosed with PD on August 21, 2009, about four and a half years ago.
Don't let the diagnosis beat you. There are lots of meds to handle the symptoms of PD, and sometime it takes a while to find the right combination. Once your husband and his doctor figure out the right combo of meds and the times they need to be taken - STICK TO THOSE TIMES. I've learned that taking meds ON time is a big part of staying symptom free.

Good luck, and I'll keep you and your husband in my prayers.
Chaplain Steve Block

jwpj86 replied to lovedogs1955's response:
Thank you lovedogs1955.for your email,so many Dr said he has PD,also besause of all his other problems,he gets quite hard to handle,at the present time he is having eye problems,he had a bleed behind his eye,had a operation ,now he has to have a operation to remove a Cataract,he thinks in his mind he will be able to walk better ,after the OP.as we are only new to this area,we are still getting to know our doctors,thanks you again.

jwpj86 replied to chapblock's response:
Hi Steve Block ,thank you for email,as it only a short while that ,the DR have found John hasPD,his treatment is still on the learning stage,as the DRis new to us,he is still working out Johns illness,John still in denial about PD,
thank you Pam Klease

fishinaddict responded:
You will find a number of help groups and information for caregivers online. Don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think they are silly. That's how we learned what to do. This group is a great place to start asking. My wife has helped me a lot and I am still functioning pretty well despite being diagnosed a number of years ago. My wife says to tell you its been difficult at times but you WILL make it.

worn1 responded:
jwpj86
The advice given is right on target. I would add getting your house Parkinson proof. I think you and your husband will see a change when his PD meds kick in. Parkinson's is not limited to movement, it attacks everything. sight,memory,speech, you name it it can cause problems. If your husband has dementia---yes there is a parkinson dimentia---there is a patch that is used for alzhemers patients also. The difference between Dementia and alzheimers is dementia it just takes awhile for your memory to come to the surface and with alzheimers it is gone it can not be retrieved. I used the patch for a while and it helped.
There are none so blind as those that will not see

greenladt responded:
I am where you are, after a year, my husband told me he has Parkinson, I am in shock. I knew something was wrong, Sleeping, almost with-in minutes sometimes. More, pain, not hearing, can not remember, legs hurt all the time, his legs look terrible, his feet sliding across the floor was the first thing I noticed. He has need to tend to me I have had 3 strokes in 1 half years. Plus, the Fibro, my surgeries on joints, back pain, 2 car wrecks, you name it I am had it. And of all people my husband has been diag. with Parkinson. And he does not want other people to know, not even is children, and 2 of them are RN's. A year and I did not know, and now he want even talk to me about. He does not ever want to realize or think about something is wrong with him. I need feedback, This is a stubborn MAN.

greenladt replied to lovedogs1955's response:
This is a that will not believe if someone tells him you have ????. He went to our friend who is a Ortho dr., his hand's had started trambilng, then he saw his medical dr. But, he is refuse to talk about what he said. We are close, but he does not like talking about things, he just finds other thing to talk about, he just want believe something is wrong with him.

greenladt replied to greenladt's response:
Lovedogs 1955's,

I am sorry I thought you where responding to my post.

greenladt replied to jwpj86's response:
My John is too. I just found out he has know it for a year.

donnadee49 replied to greenladt's response:
what you are dealing with is an angry , fearful adult who has to c ome to accept that he has Parkinsons. There is no cure and the symptoms vary per persons. However it can be comtrolled with closly monitored meds., and a good neurologist. Depression is also a large part of this disease.I have a Psyc. nurse whgom I see every week....it helps tremendously.Exer cise is a life saver.Get a physical therapiust ( Ihave one 3 times a week) The important thing to remember have ssomeone to talk to, work with, and yes pray with! good luck to you both.
Donna Dee

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center