Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Unexplained muscle spams / joint pain
jfer45 posted:
My story is short , in 2013 I had a slight fever sore throat and felt I was getting the flu. I rested . Felt better than went back to work . My whole life changed that day . My body went into a all over muscle spams . I was admitted to the hospital given Valium flexeral. Stayed a week , no answers . My health kept decling. Every day all day I spams with joint pain. It's 2014 3 months latter and I'm still fighting this unknown thing. I'm hypothyroidism . My manganesium levels are good. I've been admitted again to the hospital for pain with the joints and muscle spams . Done a MRI and tons of blood work . All negative . Yet I'm using a walker my health sucks . I'm lost for words. They are testing me for stiff persons syndrome. Any other suggestions I'm up for it. Oh my doctors don't think I'm crazy there taking this very serious.they feel it's a very rare thing that is happening to me . I told my doctor he can name it and publish this if we find out what is wrong with me.

lovedogs1955 responded:
Your situation sounds a little bit like my own back in '06. I am a cancer survivor (finished chemo and radiation in '03) and I started having weird things go on with my body from the very beginning. Just to name a few---auto-immune thyroiditis, acute pancreatitits, .......the list goes on.

I had pain in my musces and joints and just felt lousy. in '06 I was short of breath with minimal exertion, so my Oncologist ordered a chest CT to rule out more cancer. Well, my life changed that day and hasn't been the same since. After I held my breath as instructed and then told to breathe, I could NOT breath. My pulse immediately went into the 160's and not even oxygen helped me. Taken to the ER and they tried Valium and all sorts of things thinking that I was havine an anxiety attack. My HR did not go down and the problems with breathing didn't either.

Long story----I have had cardiact workups that show some minor changes and need follow-up for. More pain and unexplained shortess of breath with BAD chest pain. I was finally diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease by a local neurologist and confirmed the diagnosis at a major movement disorder office. Turns out that one of the chemo drugs is a potential neurotoxin and it triggered the Parkinson's. What happened that day in '06 was I had a muscle spasm in my diaphragm and other respiratory muscles that would not release.

Have you been evaluated by a Neurologist yet? The two things that finally made things fit together were my tiny handwriting and my gait. Since then, things keep progressing. All kinds of digestive issues and mental problems.

Good luck to you. I hope someone can put everything together for you.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center