Skip to content


Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Parkinson's symptoms
An_255932 posted:
My father has had Parkinson's for about 7 years. Recently he had a severe fall at a doctor's office appointment and broke his back. After his hospital stay, he was moved to a rehab facility. During the hospital stay (5 nights), he was very confused and hallucinating due to the narcotics. Although he was on high doses of narcotics, his pain did not lessen much in the hospital. He was transferred to a transitional rehab facility from the hospital and has been there for just over a week. He is no longer on narcotics, but is hallucinating and very confused. He has refused to eat since the injury stating he is not hungry and nothing tastes good. He can't sit up on his own & once assisted up, can only remain in a seated position for short periods of time. He is doing PT and OT at the rehab facility, but recently he has tried to move on his own & has fallen again. He had little to no confusion before the fall and we are concerned about his level of confusion now. He had a head CT in the hospital and has no injury there. What can we expect on a recovery or improvements? I know the back injury can take a long time to recover from.
lovedogs1955 responded:
There are many things that can throw us into a Parkinson's flare, or even a Parkinson's crisis. We cannot tolerate some things that don't affect those who don't have our disease.

There are certain medications that should NOT be given to Parkinson's patients due to our "wiring" malfunctions. Unfortunately, our specific needs are not well known within the medical or health care community. I would check with your husbands neuroloigist to see if he/she can contribute to coordinating with his care. Also, check out the National Parkinson's Disease website. Might be some useful information there. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center