Skip to content
tajdc posted:

I am afraid I might have Parkinson's. I had a slight tremor in one finger for a while now my husband notices the whole hand shaking and my balance is off. My question is should I see my primary care dr first or consult a specialist if so what kind of specialist?.

I am 64 and otherwise in good health. My mom got Parkinson"s when she was 80.

My biggest fear is not being able to drive.That would really put me into a depression.

Any help is appreciated.
wmalice responded:
I have Parkinson's and was diagnosed when I was in my early 50s I am now 59, I was diagnosed early enough that I was able to get deep brain stimulation that gave me my life back, So I would say visit your dr as soon as possible. I know with my medical insurance we have to have a referral to a specialist . Good luck
tajdc replied to wmalice's response:
Thank you for your help. I will mention deep brain stimulation when I meet with a neurologist .I am happy to have found this site.
judyquick2000 replied to wmalice's response:
What is deep brain stimulation and what all is involved. Did you thinking get better and are you able to drive
wmalice replied to judyquick2000's response:
My thinking was never an issue for me, and yes I was able to drive 6 weeks after surgery could not even be in a car except to and from dr. appts. DBS is insertion of probes into the brain than connected to a battery that is implanted into your chest. Mine was done in two sessions. First one dr inserted probe on the right side. A nine hour surgery that you are awake for two months later probes were implanted on the left side as well as the battery which took 11 hours. I would do it all over again. Before surgery had tremors on my right side which was so so painful. Severe depression, anxiety, was on massive amounts of antidepressants . which I am happy to say today I take none.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
22 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center