Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Pain in Parkinson's
artsykathy posted:
My mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's about 10 years ago. Luckily up to about two years ago her main symptom was a tremor in her right arm.

Starting about two years ago she made her first ER visit of many due to severe abdominal pain. She described it to me as an intense burning feeling. Several ER visits two years later (averaging about one visit a month), she has had her gallbladder removed, an EGD and colonoscopy which were normal, a hydrogen breath test which was normal, many CT scans and ultrasounds all being normal. She even saw a vascular surgeon about a bit of an aortic stenosis but he deemed it not responsible for her pain.

She also complains of a bloated feeling and she said that the burning goes up into her mouth and she also has a bad taste. It all sounds GI at first but with all the negative tests, I am wondering now is she suffering from Central Pain Syndrome.

Anyone else know of this type of scenario with Parkinson's? It also seems a lot of time pain medications to not help her. The only thing that really helps is to completely "knock her out" and make her sleep. Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated. We are all at our wits end.

atti_editor responded:
Hi artsykathy,

Here is some information that we have on Central Pain Syndrome -- Parkinson's is one of the diseases in which this order is said to occur. Unfortunately, as the article says and you have experienced, pain medications often do little to provide relief. Have you talked with your mother's doctors about the possibility of this being the cause of her pain and burning feeling? The article says that sometimes antidepressants and anticonvulsants can be used to treat the pain -- and that any reduction in stress levels that can be made is also beneficial.

I hope that you will keep us updated and that you are able to find some answers and relief for your mom.

Best wishes,
Atti

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center