Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Newly diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease
lauram58 posted:
Hi, I am a 56 female just diagnosed with Early Parkinsons. I am scared and looking for some direction on what I should do first.

New York is my home, so I have access to whatever I need. Just started the meds process and am taking Sinemet.

Any direction would be appreciated.

wmalice responded:
I am 59 and was diagnosed at 54 I had DBS surgery almost two years ago and it saved my life. This is deep brain stimulation which is brain surgery where probes are inserted into your brain which is run off a battery which is inserted into your chest I would recommend this to anyone with early onset Parkinson's. The earlier they can do it the better the results.

zuolei responded:
Lauram58 hello, see that you were diagnosed with early Parkinson's disease, I want to tell you that according to my experience, first of all, don't be cowed by the disease, the disease is terrible, the first life is regular, the second from now on learn to don't angry, the third to regulate diet, the fourth to strengthen personal exercise, fifth Parkinson's drug finally eat less or don't eat.
China ZUOLEI
Email; http://pajinsenkexin.t.sohu.com/

chapblock responded:
Hi lauram58. I was diagnosed on Aug 21, 2009. The best thing to do is find a first-class neurologist who specializes in 'movement disorders.' Second, read up on PD at reputable web sites. To me, the really annoying thing about PD is that it affects just about every system in your body. Very few acquire the same symptoms at the same time.

The most important piece of advice I can give (and I thing most with PD would agree), is to take your meds ON TIME. I have an alarm go off on my iPhone every time I need to take one or a combo of meds. I don't know why, but PD meds seem to stop doing their job rather quickly and the symptoms return. Take them on time and I'm fine.

I hopes a little.

Helpful Tips

Vehicle for the Mobility Challenged
My husband has PD and was having a difficult time getting into and out of my Hyundai Elantra. Both because of the limited space between the ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center