Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Just need support
An_256686 posted:
My husband is 62 was diagnosed with Parkinson's a little over a year ago,although I have felt he went us diagnosed for years prier to this. His seem to deteriorating quickly. Does anyone see a time line in Parkinsons?

sekbt responded:
Hello, just read your post. My husband was also diagnosed with Parkinson's about 2 years ago. He is 61. It's very difficult to watch the deterioration. I just joined this site to try to find someone else who understands what I'm going thru. What symptoms does your husband have now?

Susan

shanac replied to sekbt's response:
He has a lot trouble sleeping, his limps(arms, legs)feel very heavy, he has terrible nightmares, trashes & yells out. He gets very frustrated with not being able to move or get comfortable. His fine motor skills are basically gone, he can not left himself out of a chair very well. Sometimes his speech is slurry, but not always. He has trouble doing personal hygiene because he can not move his arms & hands well. So he has to rely on me a lot. He really hates that, which make me angry.

worn1 replied to shanac's response:
Shanac
I have parkisons. I was diagnosed in stage 3. Independence is very important to us. We appreciate what care givers do for us.
Has your husband started on Meds yet? Once he is started on medication it may take a while to find the right combination or he may be one of the lucky ones to get the right combination of medication. Once the medication starts to work he will start moving again. He may see his vocabulary shrink,memory problems, compulsive obsseive behavior,out bursts of anger, low sex drive, Parkinson affects all areas of the brain not just movement. Your husband is going to be angry until he accepts his disease. He needs to accept it, learn everything about it and and most of all exercise the body and mind. if you do not you will loose it. Keep in mind he has no sense of balance so walking is great. I do not mean a walk around the block but at least 3 or 4 miles a day.
Are there any specific questions you have that i might be able to answer?
Jo H
There are none so blind as those that will not see

worn1 responded:
An
Parkinson's affects everyone differently. It may progress rapidly or slowly.
The right drug combination may slow it down but it will not stop it.
Jo H
There are none so blind as those that will not see

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center