Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Advanced stage parkinsons, please help! It's my dad.
park4pemp posted:
My dad has had parkinsons for some time now. Watched the decline in speech & had OT nurses for PT. He had a bad fall & was hospitalized with low heart rate & low blood pressure. He now has pneumonia, but my question is…With Parkinsons in its advanced stage, does this explain his nonverbal communication? He can no longer speak, trouble swallowing, & is now have mild seizures (not flailing kind) he is moaning a lot now for a long period of time. Confined to hospital bed as he is a fall risk.

worn1 responded:
Is your father still recieving his medication for Parkinson's?
Has recieved medication to correct or was the medication adjusted to correct his blood pressure and heart rate?
Keep in mind Dopamine transmitts the info to the muscles if they are not getting dopamine they can not function causing great pain. I was in stage 3 when diagnosed so I can attest to pain. It was bad enough I contemplated ending my life.
Is your father a DNR and not recieving meds for Parkinson's he should be given something to make him comfortable.(SP)
Please contact his Neurologist.
I know it has been hard on you but let me assure you your father appreciates everything you have done. Keep talking to your father even though he can not respond. He is still there just unable to communicate.
Jo H
There are none so blind as those that will not see

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center