Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
bladder and parkinson's
wmalice posted:
I am curious if anyone else with Parkinson's have trouble with their bladder, kidneys.

atti_editor responded:
Hi wmalice,

Have you spoken with your doctor about the problems you are experiencing? He/She may be able to provide treatment options that will stop or lessen the symptoms you are experiencing. This article about postrenal acute kidney injury has a section that says that a bladder that doesn't empty properly may be caused by certain nervous system disorders such as Parkinson's. This may cause urine to build up in one or both kidneys and could lead to further kidney problems.

I also found this article from the Parkinson's Disease Foundation that you might find helpful and interesting. It says that both gastrointestinal and urinary problems are frequent features of Parkinson's, and that if you are experiencing the symptoms explained in the above link, you should not hesitate to bring it to your physician's attention as effective treatment is often available.

Best wishes,
Atti

wmalice replied to atti_editor's response:
thank you so much foo the info, Yes I have spoken to my general but not my neurologist which I imagine should be my next step. Again thank you for the info,

lovedogs1955 responded:
What kind of problems are you having? Inability to initiate urine stream? Inability to empty bladder completely? Incontinence? Frequent urinary tract infections (UTI's) ?

Yes, PD does affect the bladder. Remember that it is possible for PD to affect any muscle or body system in our bodies. It is a disease that causes interruptions/stopage/misfiring of the nerves that control those muscles. Make sure your Neurologist is aware of your issues.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center