Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Cold shoulder.....
An_251877 posted:
I hope I'm not in the wrong place but in case that I am, please accept my apologies. I didn't know where to turn so I came here.

I've read about how depression can get to be a top symptom for people with this disease but what do you do if the problem is the one person I thought I could count on??I've fought depression since I was a little girl and I'm in my 60's now so you can see how depression can really cause a person to need more than the usual understanding. We've been together for almost 38 years (my husband, the problem) and we've gone through a lot of rough times and stayed strong....at least that's what I would like to believe.
Since I was diagnosed a few months ago something has changed with us. When I needed him he was there and the same the other way around....the looks of tenderness that I remember was there suddenly started to wane and now I don't know what to do about it. I've known this man for long enough for me to see how his eyes have gone cold.
He gets short with me now and almost sarcastic when I fall.....(I also have severe loss of balance issues) I don't demand much from him actually I've been trying not to bother him with my thoughts. Now those wonderful blue eyes show me a revulsion that I've never experienced with him before. He makes comments about my walking like it's my fault and I'm just doing it to make him look bad. He has stopped talking to me like a husband and wife do and he has stopped asking me if I would like to go with him. I know that he resents the fact that I don't make any money and he acts like his paycheck was the only one coming in bu he seems to have forgotten about all the years that I worked full time to add my share into the household account. Now that I have Parkinson's I am considered disabled and I have a check that comes in on a regular basis which is also added to the account for bills and things. Every thing that I can manage to do for him seems like it's not enough.....we are back to some serious times and I know he resents me for not having a full time job. I feel like that if I weren't here he would be so much happier. I'm losing it and going fast and I don't know how I can change things.......Sorry this turned out so long but I needed to get it out so to speak. Thanks for reading it, I wonder if there are other people out there who have experienced this type of situation.........
Thanks again, I needed to vent but I never wanted it to happen with a posting like this! Thanks you guys, and please be safe out there ok?

lovedogs1955 responded:
Oh my...sounds like things are really tough for both you and your husband! You both need to be in counseling and on antipressants, at least for a little while. Is your Neurologist aware of the problems at home? Does your husband go with you to see him/her? He needs to be part of the whole picture.

Also, are there any support groups in your area? Often, there are disease specific groups for patients (and even their caregivers) and there are often groups just for caregivers. Sounds like he needs to vent and realize he isn't the only one in this situation.

I am so sorry you are going through this. It's bad enough having the damn Parkinsons.

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center