Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Early but inconsistent symptoms of PD?
unsureaboutpd posted:
Hello all,

For a few months I have been concerned about the possibility I have PD. My concern started when I seemed to have developed more shaking in my hands (I've never had the steadiest hands around), which made me remember a few incidents from a few years before. At that time, on 3-4 occasions I recall that while I was walking I had difficulty moving at my normal pace, as though my legs were stuck in thick mud. It was a struggle just to take small steps. Then the feeling would pass, and it has not recurred since then. There are times when my right leg feels weak for a brief period, then it passes.

For a couple years, I have experienced frequent leg cramps in both legs, and last night my right leg felt painfully tight. Also, when I lay down to sleep, or nod off in front of the TV, I often jerk back to wakefulness, sometimes more than once.

I also have occasionally had momentary, infrequent balance problems and for a while a year or two ago was having occasional lip numbness/tremor.

About three weeks ago, while sitting down with my feet up, I had a terrible pain in my lower leg, ankle and foot, somewhat like a cramp but it lasted longer and felt like that whole area was being twisted as if it were an item of wet laundry being wrung out. It only happened once.

Except for the leg cramps, jerking awake and occasional leg weakness, each of these symptoms has come for a short period and then gone for months or years.

My question is whether this type of pattern of symptoms is consistent with anyone else's experience with PD. Raising the issue with my doctor could have all kinds of implications, not the least of which insurance issues, so before I go down that path I would very much appreciate hearing from others who may have gone down a similar path.

Thank you for reading and for any help you may be able to provide.

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center