Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Looking for good information
marjjane posted:
Hi. My husband was just diagnosed with Parkinson's Dis. and I'm looking for good information about the disease. Anything and everything. And...where do I begin? Any help will be appreciated.

atti_editor responded:
Hi marjjane,

I think that it is great that you want to learn anything and everything about Parkinson's in order to better help your husband. This visual guide to Parkinson's Disease slideshow may be a good place to start. Our Parkinson's Disease Health Center also has a lot of great information that will help you to learn more. There you will find information on common symptoms, an overview of the 5 stages of Parkinson's, how to prevent falls, advice and support for caregivers and much more. This community can also be a great resource for you -- there are many people here who I am sure would be willing to share advice and experiences with you. I hope that you will continue to seek support here and that the information above is helpful Please let us know how you and your husband are doing!

Best wishes,
Atti

luv2fishpublic responded:
I checked the local library. One book we have found helpful is "Parkinson's Disease 300 Tips for Making Life Easier". Many tips are for more advanced disease than the stage where my husband is now, and it seems to be a good resource as it progresses.

njladyluck replied to luv2fishpublic's response:
Hi Luv,

I have pd and I go to a website daily strength.com which has not only a pd discussion site but a general discussion site for Caregivers which I found very helpful because I am a caregiver to my mother who has vascular dementia. Also the NPF has the most awesome caregiver discussion and help. Good luck. Also local hospice organizations have caregiver discussion groups which are very helpful - even though you hubby is not at that stage you get a lot of good tips on taking care of yourself. I know I forget my own meds and forget to make my own drs. appointments when my mother comes first all of the time. It is like the stewardess talk at the beginning of the flight - I have to put my oxygen mask on first and then put it on the person that is depending on me.

luv2fishpublic replied to njladyluck's response:
Thanks for the tip about dailystrength.com, I signed up. Good advice about the oxygen mask. I tell other people to take care of themselves so they can take care of a loved one, but it's hard to remember that applies to me too! We're making a lot of adjustments in our lives right now, trying to get our house on the market so we can move to an independent senior community - while hubby can still help. Some days are harder than others for both of us. I appreciate your insight.

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center