Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Vertigo? Cervical vertigo?
Nbarnhart posted:
My neurologists have not been able to diagnose my condition despite 14 tests including cerebral angiogram, CTA of neck, MRA of brain, stress tests, hearing/VNG, MRI of spine, MRI of C-Spine, MRI of brain, etc. My symptoms: 6 "episodes" starting September 2008 and the last one 8/1/09 and lasting 2 to 10 hours each. Always starts when I am sleeping, wake up with extreme sweats, sharp pain in my right shoulder and radiating up the right side of my neck and extreme vertigo (head/world rapidly whirling). Paralysis of my right side for 2 hours in one episode, vomiting in 2 episodes, severe leg cramps in one episode. 4 of 6 episodes ended by themselves with no continuing dizziness, 1 had continuing but greatly reduced, dizziness for a week. NO Headaches, NO hearing loss, No ringing in my ears, NO sluured speach, No loss of consciousness, NO nerviousness. Test for BPPV is negative as are all of the above tests. One Emory neurologist says it might be vestibular migraine (inner ear disorder) and another suggests cervical vertigo.

Has anyone had similar symptons? :frown

RedBear2005 responded:
Your wide spectrum of symptoms would seem to suggest you have experienced some form of stroke or seizure, possibly associated with a deep-brain lesion or tumor. Another possibility would be a small interior tumor or cyst inside the cervical spinal column.

Both of the tentative diagnoses offered by the Emory neurologist seem to me (as a layman who has read medical literature for nearly 15 years) to be very long-shot stabs in the dark. In the brief literature probes I have done on your behalf, neither vestibular migraine nor cervical vertigo were noted as associated with radiating sharp pain in the extremities or loss of motor control. Likewise, there is some degree of controversy concerning whether there is such a medical entity as "cervical" vertigo, and if so with what incidence rate.

I believe you may need a consult with a different neurological team. Likewise, repeat of your brain MRI may be called for, administered on the second time around as 1-mm thin-slice MRI with and without contrast agent, and with post-procedure 3-D processing.

I wish you well...

Go in Peace and Power

nykky1973 responded:
Nbarnhart

Did the doctors ever figure it out?

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 48 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center