Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Brain Itches Anyone?
westtexasaggie posted:
I'm a 20 year old female who's been having strange un-diagnosable symptoms for a while now, and they're only getting worse.

For starters, I have never in my life been so tired. I also get dizzy almost everyday. Sometimes I get sick to my stomach, and I'll get shooting headaches throughout my head. My left jaw and neck sometimes lock up when I stretch or make a funny face (mom was right when she said my face could freeze like that)

Now for the strangest symptom.....It feels like my brain's itching. Its in teh right upper part of my skull...it's an itch under the skin I jsut cant scratch. Sometimes I find myself hitting my head trying to make it stop. Sometimes the itch radiates down my neck as if it were pain...but its an itch. It happens almost everyday and last 5-10 minutes.

I've been seeing my doctor regularly and saw a neurologist once. They did a ct scan and said nothing looked too out of the ordinary. Ive also had sooooo much blood work done, which discovered a slightly low blood sugar. The neurologist blamed it on atypical migraine symptoms and sent me home with a diet....which has had no effect. They were discussing the possibility of MS.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Daeger115 responded:
I have this problem a lot too (along with a LONG list of health problems, sadly). Have you ever had shingles? Someone recently wrote a medical article suggesting this might be related to the problem. (I have had shingles 3 times now and I'm only 24 years old [female>).
I also started going to a chiropractor recently for back and neck pain, and found out that two vertebrae in my neck are growing one way, and one vert. the other way, and that I have MS in my back; according to my chiropractor, this is causing a nerve in my neck to be pinched which goes from my face down my neck into my chest. Both she and my doc believe it could be causing the sensation of itch in my brain because the nerve is misfiring.
Have you ever been tested for lupus, lymphoma, thyroid disorders, spinal problems (even minor ones), or had shingles?

Helpful Tips

What would you like to know?Expert
Over the last month the PD Exchange has addressed topics concerning diagnosis, medications, managing doctor's office visits, sleep ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center