Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
BELL'S PALSY
OLIVERRIC posted:
HELLO SUPPORT GRUP I'VE JUST BEEN DIAGNOSED SO MY QUESTIONS ARE PRETTY BASIC: 1) IS BELL'S PALSY COMMUNICABLE? (I HAVE A GF) 2) IS IT LIKELY TO RECUR? (I AM 65) THANK YOU. OLIVERRIC

RedBear2005 responded:
Bell's Palsy -- IF that is actually what you are experiencing -- is not communicable. However, be aware that such a diagnosis is generally considered to be one of exclusion . That is, the label is often used for symptoms of facial paralysis when the examining physician finds no other disorder which fits. If you'd like to read up from sources other than Web-MD (which is actually pretty good - try the term in the search window above), then here is another view: www.bellspalsy.ws/treatment.htm In the 16 years I've been supporting facial pain patients as a layman advocate, I have heard of cases where Bells (or at least facial paralysis of unknown origin) can recur after periods of remission. Overall, I don't think this is the typical outcome. The same site above suggests that the rough figures are on the order of 10-20%. See Frequently Asked Questions at www.bellspalsy.ws/ Feel free to come back with further information on your overall symptoms, Oliver. Several of us on the board are well grounded in this general field, though none of us is medically licensed. Go in Peace and Power, Red

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
36 of 48 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center