Myasthenia Gravis
sherryonamac56 posted:
Approx 2 months ago--my son starting experiencing one of his eyes dropping at work --came on within 15 min. Then the next day, both eyes started dropping. Long story short--he has seen a neurologist in the San Antonio area--she is 99% certain he has MG. He had one EMG in Dec--that came back normal. He had an MRI of the brain right after Christmas--that came back perfectly normal. He had a CT of the chest (checking his thymus gland) 2 weeks ago--again, normal. He is scheduled to have a fiber-optic EMG Feb., 17, 2009 and will see a neuro-opthamologist that afternoon as well. He is taking a drug--Pyridostigmine--it is not helping. Says when he gets up in the morning, his eyes are fine--driving to work (which is a 30 min) he almost can not make it--eyes are dropping so bad, he can hardly see. I am so worried about this---so far--no other symptoms--as in breathing--that is truly frightening to me. Seems like there really isn't much out there to help him?? How long do these symptoms last? Is this something he will be living with forever?? He is a graphic artist so uses a computer all the time. He is also a new father with another 5 yr old child. I, as a mom, just feel helpless--can't seem to get any more info on this disorder--do understand that it is an auto-immune disease. I work for 4 doctors and have picked their brain, but family practice docs just do not deal with this. I quess since there has not been one test that has come back "proving" this is MG---is there such a test that will pinpoint it for certain?? The neurologist does not feel this is MS--guess would do a spinal tap if necessary, but not there yet. Would a referral to Mayo help?? Are they qualified to deal/help/offer answers to this?? Guess I'm like everyone else--would like answers immediately---realizing with a neurological issue that is not going to happen. If anyone has had--or has this or has some advice or anything, feel free to email me at dolphinsnsnow@charter.net. As a mom, I would do anything to make this go away---we live 1500 miles away from him and his family and I must work full-time---so it's a sad thing for me. Thank you.

4jesus responded:
If this is the only symptom your son has, this is not MS. Mysthenia Gravis is an autoimmune disease. It effects men between the age of 50-70 years of age. MG effects different muscles of the body, which include, difficulty in chewing, swallowing, lifting arms, gripping an item, rising from a sitting position, walking up stairs and will include breathing difficulties, this what becomes Mysathenia Crisis. Although there is no cure for this, there are some immunisuppresant drugs that may help and also plasmapherosis(sp?), to cleanse the blood. If you need more info on this, try the search board on webmd and type in Myasthenia Gravis and will give lots of imformation. Take care, Ron