Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
severe headaches - eye twitching
kaytlyn2009 posted:
I have a question .. in the past couple months i have been having migraine headaches on the top left side of my head - from my temple to the top .. and just recently my left eye is twitching during these headaces .. the headaches last for about 4 - 5 hours and are occuring just about every other day .. so i am reminded by my eye doctor (when we had insurance and had them checked) that she saw something growing behind the left eye and my left periphial vision was gone to a degree ..she did not tell me what this was.. and that i needed a opthamologist .. also ..i am wondering if it is the hormone pill i take causing the headaches ..or the weather .. as you can see i am totally lost as to what this is .. so many things it could be .. i take aleve - tylenol - nothing touches it.. any ideas? i cant afford a doctor - is there anything i can do at home that will stop this?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Lifes responded:
Why don't you write to the eye doctor's office and request your records, first? Then you will know what she thought she saw. If there is something "growing", you really do need to find some way to see a Dr. Has your family Dr checked your eyes? You need your meds evaluated and honestly, a good migraine med if indicated. There's no reason for this suffering every other day. I urge you to find a way to see a Dr. Lifes

kaytlyn2009 responded:
Thank you for your reply Life~ i can ask for my records and the mystery of what she saw growing behind my eye would be solved ..good idea. i can ask the nurse at my doctors office about this also .. but i cannot go to the doctor at all because we do not have insurance anymore and we do not have money to see a doctor. our unemploment from my husbands lay off is just not enough to cover a visit. so i suppose i am just asking how to control the pain in a natural way if there is a way. heath care is not affordable for us at this time. . it is a hardship. i suffer also from a disability that prevents me from working or maybe this would be different. thanks for your reply - kaytlyn2009

kaytlyn2009 responded:
one more question i have is what kind of thing or possibilities would make a eye to twitch before and during the headaches ..? any thoughts?

RedBear2005 responded:
Kaytlyn, I hate to be an alarmist or the bearer of bad news, but you could very well be dealing with a brain tumor or major Arterio-Veinous Malformation. If you "have no money" then make an appointment with the nearest office of City or County Family Services. Ask for their help to find a doctor or teaching hospital in your area that will take you on as a charity case. The idea that you "cannot go to a doctor" is both dangerous and false. There is ALWAYS a way if you dig deep enough and refuse to give up. Keep us informed on progress. Once you have your medical records, please post a note on what you have learned... Go in Peace and Power

kaytlyn2009 responded:
Thank you for your reply - i am not surprised actually of the possibilities of this condition - i will let you know what the records indicate when i get them from the optometrist .. we do have a university hospital nearby that may take me in without insurance - proving by W2 from my husbands former position and now from unemployment .. i hope they will accept me i dont know.. i will keep searching. My first thought on this was a tumor .. however i do not know what the other you mentioned is .. i do have a history of cancer in my family on both sides .. one did have a brain tumor.. but not sure its location or details .. he did not live long after the discovery.. however i think the cancer began in his liver and then spead to his brain .. On one xray i had for another problem in my abdomen they discovered a couple of small lesions on my liver but ruled it out as cancer..they told me it would not hurt me. the headaches and eye twitching are occuring at least three times a day and today at least 4 ..with the lower eyelid twitching now almost constant. so i will call the buisness office at the university in the morning and see if they will allow me to see a dr. hoping.

RedBear2005 responded:
AVM (Artereo-Veinous Malformation) is a cluster of abnormally large and interwoven veins and arteries that somewhat resembles an internal "mole" in the brain. Depending on where such a growth is located, it may be possible to stop its growth by neurosurgery or by non-invasive radio surgery such as Gamma Knife. In 15+ years of talking with patients as an advocate and research assistant, I've heard of several cases in which decreased peripheral vision or even blindness has been traced to such a growth, due to compressions of the optic nerves. A colleague of mine just went through 14 hours of surgery for exactly this condition. Depending on where in the brain such a growth develops, it can also be a cause of migraines and/or the sort of eye twitch you've mentioned. Both will need to be cross-checked against alternative diagnoses, however. One of those diagnoses could be either a tumor or a micro-vascular compression of nerves by blood vessels in the areas near the brain stem where most of the facial nerves emerge (below the cranium). One note of reassurance, if I may. A history of metastasized liver cancer in your family does not automatically suggest that this is what you are now dealing with. It DOES suggest that a careful evaluation is appropriate. Feel free to come back. I am unable to visit every day, but if you've got something that just can't wait, I can be reached through my website, below. Go in Peace and Power

kaytlyn2009 responded:
i did go and get my eye report - she did not mention what she saw growing behind my eye but she did have on the report field of vision loss (left eye) and OS whatever that means ..? i told her about the headaches and eye twtiching and she said the twitching could be caused by stress and the migraines are from my eye .. she thinks if i get glasses that the headaches will go away ...then she referred me to a university doctor who treats without insurance ..that is all i have to go on at this point..until i get to see a dr.

kaytlyn2009 responded:
i am wondering .. i have had a history of endometriosis .. that kind of rang a bell when you described the mole type lesion .. could endometriosis reach the brain? sorry for al the questions - just concerned. Thank you for explaining this to me .. i will ask my dr when i get a chance to get in about this very thing you are talking about. sounds like a horrific surgery .. hope i do not have to go thru anything like that .. not looking forward to that anyway..hopefully i will see a dr soon

RedBear2005 responded:
No, Hon... Endometriosis cannot reach the brain. It is specific to the wall of the Uterus, external to the womb. A possible (but presently unconfirmed) AVM is enough concern to have on your plate. and Migraines are likewise no bed of roses... Take care, Red

kaytlyn2009 responded:
ok - was just a thought .. i did read up on what you are saying about AVM - does all sound like it is possible .. also a possible tumor ... so i am going to call this dr she referred me to yesterday who sees people without insurance .. and is connected with the large university nearby .. hopefully he will investigate this further and i can get help. i do not agree with her that the eye twitching is just from stress and or caffiene .. because it has become a precursor to my migraines which always are on the same side. But i am glad that she discovered that the left visual field defect was enough to send me to an Opthamologist. i did have endometriosis in years past and had a hysterectomy over it because one ovary bursting into pieces .. he told me it would spread because of estrogen .. however i recently in the past year began hormone replacement therapy for depression ... so that is why i asked .. thinking if i am on HRT then maybe the endo is back and feeding on the hormone replacement. .

RedBear2005 responded:
I think that a couple of separate issues may be getting confused here. Endometriosis doesn't "spread" as far as I know. Hysterectomy is frequently done to eliminate endometriosis entirely. However, with a history of cancer in your family and a compromised ovary, you need to be thoughtfully advised on whether hormone replacement therapy is wise for you. At least one form of breast cancer is "fed" by estrogen. If you haven't had a breast examination with imagery for at least a year, then it is time you did. Go in Peace and Power

Lifes responded:
OS means left eye. OD=Right eye OS= left eye OU= both eyes See: Abbreviations Commonly Used in Ophthalmology at www.uiowa.edu/~c067111/pdf%20documents/abbreviations.pdf Lifes

kaytlyn2009 responded:
Thanks for your reply - I do keep up with mammography because my mother had breast cancer - grandmother - great aunt ... so there is a long line of cancer in our family on both sides. i am making an appointment with a Opthamologist that takes ppl without insurance .. he is connected with the local university nearby .. being checked for both the muliple migraines /eye twitch and for the left visual field defect. hopefully he will be able to diagnose and treat this.

Lisamorris1 responded:
I have had a sinus headache and pressure since Thanksgiving. Just this past few days I have developed a strong headache on both sides of my head. In the middle..It feels like someone is squeezing my head from both sides. I noticed my right eye has been twitching tremendously. I can't believe its my eyes as I have just seen the eye doctor less than a month ago and my prescription has not changed much (I am still wearing my old glasses because I don't have the new ones yet)... I keep thinking this newest head pain and eye twitching is from the sinuses but I belong to Kaiser and you have to have had the sysmptons for at least 14 days before they will run any type of tests...or prescribe medicnie for the sinuses. Any ideas what the new head pain and eye twicthing is?

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center