Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Parkinson's skin problems
mazaranne posted:
I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's and read somewhere that seborrhea is a symptom. I went to a dermatologist for treatment for the seborrhea, but it is just getting worse. I hate going out in public with my red, scaly face, not to mention the other symptoms of Parkinson's which cause me embarrassment. Is there any effective treatment for facial seborrhea associated with Parkinson's?

susiemargaret responded:
hello, M -- first, b thank you for alerting me to this possibility. i've got parkinson's too but had never read or seen anything about skin conditions associated with it, so imagine my surprise when, on a lark, i did a search on webMD and found this page, which specifically mentions an association between b seborrhea and parkinson's -- www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-dandruff-basics, third paragraph. then, i ran across the mention of this association on practically every dermatology-related website i looked at. for other readers, the national institute of neurological disorders and stroke (NINDS), which is part of the national institutes of health (NIH), the primary fedl govt agency for conducting and supporting medical research, states in its publication b i parkinson's disease: hope thru research (NIH publication no. 06-139, january, 2006) that "in PD, it is common for the skin on the face to become very oily, particularly on the forehead and at the sides of the nose. the scalp may become oily too, resulting in dandruff. In other cases, the skin can become very dry. these problems are also the result of an improperly functioning autonomic nervous system. standard treatments for skin problems can help." another site, which distinguishes between dandruff, seborrhea, and seborrheic dermatitis, may also be useful -- www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/common_seb_dermatitis.html. what did the dermatologist prescribe for you? it may be that s/he has not exhausted all of your options. b i am not a medical person, but on different dermatology-related websites, i have seen the following as recommended treatments for facial seborrhea -- > *ointments, creams, or lotions containing steroids (short-term use only), selenium, terbinafine, sodium sulfacetamide, ketoconazole/nizoral, naftifine, ciclopirox, antibiotics, antifungals; > *oral steroids (short-term use only); > *cleansers for dry, sensitive skin such as cetaphil and neutrogena; > *zinc soap; and > *isotretinoin/accutane, only as a last resort, because it can have very serious side effects. some medications can make seborrhea worse; are you taking any of these -- auranofin, aurothioglucose, buspirone, chlorpromazine, cimetidine, ethionamide, gold, griseofulvin, haloperidol, interferon alfa, lithium, methoxsalen, methyldopa, phenothiazines, psoralens, stanozolol, thiothixene, or trioxsalen? please keep us posted on how you are doing. -- susie margaret

mazaranne responded:
Thank you for your in depth answer to my problem, Susie. My skin problem is indeed evident mainly on my forehead and the sides of my nose. I can't remember exactly what the dermatologist recommended, but it didn't work. I shall look into the products you have recommended. As of now, I am having a limited success with Aveeno facial scrubs, followed by Gold Bond lotion. I think my problem is being exacerbated by our uncommonly cold winter weather. I am hesitant to add any more oral medications to my daily regimen which is already a bit rough on my stomach. I just wish it wasn't necessary for me to wear make-up in public. This limits the amount of lotion I am able to apply during the days I go out. Once again, thank you.

susiemargaret responded:
hello again, M -- you are welcome. i've got migraines, clinical depression, and parkinson's. i'm not too crazy about the migraines, but i can deal with them. the clinical depression scares me a lot. as far as the future, tho, the parkinson's scares me the most. i'm hoping that things will improve for you soon. -- susie margaret

Helpful Tips

Do you have vivid dreams?Expert
Vivid dreams in Parkinson's Disease are quite common. They may be accompanied by yelling or thrashing about during sleep. If this is ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 49 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center