Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Includes Expert Content
Is there are relationship between Parkinson's and Bipolar
An_221458 posted:
Is there any information regarding a link between Parkinsons disease and bipolar? Don't they both have something to do with the dopamine levels in the brain? I am just wondering because my father has both...thank you

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD responded:
Anon_22481,
There is no direct relationship between bipolar disorder and Parkinson's disease. However, medications for bipolar disorder can cause tremor and slowness of movement - and thus an appearance of PD. Some of the common medications include: Mood stabilizers: lithium, valproic acid
Major tranquilizers: respiridone, aripiperazole, olanzapine, quetiapine, haloperidol, etc.

Please review your father's medications - and look for side effects of parkinsonism, and discuss with his doctors.

DZBiz replied to Mark A Stacy, MD's response:
Dr. Stacy,
I hope you get this message! I just created an account solely for the purpose of thanking you. I stumbled upon this page after my father, age 66, suddenly was acting more like an 86 year old. His primary care physicial suspected Parkinson's but it seemed so fast. He has bipolar disorder so I was Googling "Parkinson's, bipolar" and found this. I sent the list of medications to my mom and sure enough, he had been on risperdone for a few months. After reading the side effects and seeing that he was exhibiting the most disturbing ones, he stopped taking it right away (maybe not the best way but my mom freaked out!) and within 10 days he is 100% back to normal; even better than he was months ago. In the meantime, a neurologist had ordered a battery of tests including an MRI and EEG based on his neuro exam which was terrible at the time. Everything came back negative and the doctor was happy to tell him yesterday that he didn't need to see him anymore.
Thank you SO MUCH for this information. I truly believe it saved my dad.

DUKE MEDICINE
Mark A Stacy, MD replied to DZBiz's response:
Dear DZBiz
Thank you for your kind words, and making the effort to create an account. All of us are happy for your dad.

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center