Skip to content

Announcements

Visit the WebMD Parkinson's Health Center for information about symptoms, types, diagnosis, treatment and care.
Doctor's Cant Diagnose Me?
An_221459 posted:
Im an eighteen year old female. And I have been dealing with lower back pain, middle back and upper back pain. This all started about a year ago (Feb, 2009) when I was working at a restuarant, and lifted a bussing bin that was very heavy. I experienced a tight, sharp shooting pain but ignored it and went back to work. Since then the pain has gotten much worse. It turned into neck pain and extreme tightness in the neck which about 5 months ago, I started feeling numbness and tingling in my right arm, it now occasionally goes to the left arm. About 2 months ago i felt numbness and tinglying in my right leg. Since the injury at work I have visted plenty doctors offices and have been put on a numerous amount of pain medications, pain patches, and muscle relaxants. I have been through 2 and a half months of physical therapy, and 2 months of chyropractic work. January-March I have had 4 MRI's of lumbar, dorsal, cervical and throasic. Which all have come back normal with only slight scroliosis. I have had an EMG which came back normal with no neuopathy or myopathy. A Neurologist close to my area dyagnosed me with Cervical Dystonia, but when I went for futher treatment, I was told their is no sign of cervical dystonia because my head is only slightly tilted and muscle activety isnt severe. I am on Baclofen and that is helping with some of the back pain but my numbness and tingling are still occuring.
I just had a Movement disorder study which I am waiting on results. I also had a recent MRI of my brain which tested for MS and that came back negative. If there are any suggests or recomendations please let me know.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hello and welcome to WebMD,

I encourage you to also post your message on our Pain Management Exchange; they may have some ideas for you regarding the ongoing pain.

susiemargaret responded:
hello, 27994 --

the "pain management" exchange that caprice mentioned is at http://exchanges.webmd.com/pain-management-exchange .

i am so sorry that you're having to endure all of these horrible afflictions. it must be esp frustrating because one dr says one thing, then another dr says something else, then a third dr says another something else. don't you just feel like screaming, "i can handle it! just tell me what it is!"

i am not a medical person, but at this point it does seem as if the movement disorder study may help, at least in terms of giving you a place to start. other than that, i don't have any more ideas, but perhaps other people will.

please keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to susiemargaret's response:
Thanks Susie Margaret! (I could have sworn I added a link to my post but apparently not. D'oh!)

susiemargaret replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
hello, caprice --

you are welcome. we are a full-service exchange, 24/7.

-- susie margaret

Helpful Tips

Sensory symptoms in Parkinson's DiseaseExpert
Sensory complaints in PD are not uncommon, and include visual changes, loss of sense of smell, restless legs syndrome (RLS), and pain. ... More
Was this Helpful?
64 of 80 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Neurological Disorders Center